The Sequels Project: Longest “Horror” Movie Series

I’ve been playing with the IMDb “movie-links” data (“movie connections” in the web interface) in an effort to find a way to map that stuff graphically. Still not making much progress with that, but I’ve found some interesting info.

Of late we’ve been watching some of the more famous horror movie series. There’s a cliche that every slasher movie has a part 12, but, of course, it’s not really true. Got me wondering, though, about how many sequels different years and genres have spawned.

Here’s a list of the most “followed” features (that doesn’t count remakes or spin-offs) that don’t follow another movie and are classified as Horror in the IMDb. I had to massage the output a bit because the raw data contains things that aren’t in the web version (and probably shouldn’t be, looks like).

• 27 “sequels”: Godzilla (1954) — I’d argue (and the hardcore fans would agree) that this isn’t really so. The movies are in separate series and make more of a tree than a line. I’ll save you the explanation since you can just read the Wikipedia entry.
  • 18 sequels: Troublesome Night (1997) — I’ve always love this movie’s understated title. Each movie tells several stories and I don’t think there’s any continuity among the entries in the series. This isn’t the only series of anthological movies on the chart.
  • 13 sequels: The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) — I’m loath to include this one because it’s really the first movie in a Sherlock Holmes series, and ought to be under character series, not horror, I’d say. We’ll let it slide for the sake of the list though.
  • 12 sequels: La marca del Hombre-lobo (1968) — I broke my usual rule of using English titles for this one because I didn’t know what to put. I’d say The Mark of the Wolfman, but I guess the original confusing English title (Frankenstein’s Bloody Terror) stuck. This is the series of Paul Naschy werewolf movies, which went longer than Universal’s or Hammer’s.
  • 11 sequels: Shake, Rattle & Roll (1984) — If you’re like me, this is the place where you stopped nodding. No, I’ve never heard of them either, but they’re apparently quite popular in the Philippines. Looks like they might make more, so this could climb up the chart.
  • 10 sequels:
    • Friday the 13th (1980/I) — …and if you’re like some other people, here’s where you start nodding. Everybody knows this one has had a bunch, and though this is apparently over, there are more coming for the “remake”. (The raw data lists a cancelled Elm Street prequel as a sequel to this too for some reason.)
    • Puppetmaster (1989) — (Somehow this got deleted from the list used for the original post. Sorry.) Charles Band loves evil toys. This might’ve even missed a few as I’m not sure all the connections are right for these.
  • 8 sequels:
    • Dracula (1958) — That would be the Hammer Dracula, of course. I missed getting all the Anchor Bay discs when they were out, and the rights are now scattered around so much we may never have a box set of all of them.
    • Hellraiser (1987) — One just came out on video, apparently so the studio can retain rights to the series. Expect another one within five years unless they get the remake out by then.
    • Tomie (1999) — Like the title character, this series apparently can’t be killed. I’ve only seen a couple of these so far- I have the old set before they made the new batch but haven’t got through it all yet. Reception of the latest seems to be good, so there may be many more yet to come.
  • 7 sequels:
    • Halloween (1978) — The classic, I guess, though I’ve not yet brought myself to watch all of them. I’m with Carpenter, two was enough about a guy with a knife. And count me among those who love III. (The raw data also lists a fan film as a sequel.)
    • Children of the Corn (1984) — The raw data lists the short film version instead, but I disqualified those (and that should be a “version of” anyway). Similar to Hellraiser above, this has a new entry out- even though it has already been remade.
    • Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965) — Uh, really? This is listed as a series of anthology movies. That seems like a cheat, but so are a couple of the entries above. At least they had the decency to title them as a series unlike these guys.
    • Frankenstein (1931) — The Universal Frankenstein, that is. Some of the sequels crossed over with other Universal movies, so, like Freddy vs. Jason, they count on more than one entry.
    • The Amityville Horror (1979) — This series fizzled out long before they remade it. It’s also the third series on the list with a 3-D entry. Bet you missed one of those. (Don’t be embarrassed- it was news to me too!)

I might add the sixes later if I get a chance. That includes a bunch of popular ones. [ I’ve found a few omissions- that’s what happens when you let a draft sit around for a while. I’ll fix it this weekend. ]