Member of the Month – January 2018

Name: Ariangela Kozik

Program: Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (PULSe) Program within the Department of Comparative Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine

Classification: fifth-year Ph.D. candidate

Hometown: Portage, Indiana

Bachelor’s Degree: Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI

January’s Member Member of the Month is Ariangela Kozik! Ariangela recently received a first author publication entitled Age, sex, and TNF associated differences in the gut microbiota of mice and their impact on acute TNBS colitis in Experimental and Molecular Pathology.

Congrats Ariangela!

Interview with Ariangela

Tell us something about your research project: 

My research focuses on the relationship between gut bacteria and inflammation in an animal model of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

What are your favorite activities? 

In my ‘free time’ I love to paint, cook/bake, and spend time with my family

How did you get involved with BGSA? 

My PULSe student mentor during my first year was a BGSA member, and she encouraged me to come to meetings and get involved. I served on the banquet committee that year and made a lot of friends!

Finish this sentence, “The world would be a better place if…” 

…we could all learn to love our neighbors as ourselves.

What’s one piece of advice you can give to fellow Black graduate students pursuing advanced degrees?

Find a community of people who support you, and then let them support you. This journey is not only about the academics, it is also a time of rapid, and sometimes uncomfortable, personal growth. Having a tribe makes the good times better, and the hard times shorter.