Welcome to Andrew DeWoody’s homepage at Purdue University! Andrew is a Professor and University Faculty Scholar with appointments in Forestry & Natural Resources (FNR) as well as in Biological Sciences. He served a three-year stint as Associate Head of FNR from 2011-2014.
Evolutionary genetics and genomics; molecular ecology and evolution; natural history; conservation biology; wildlife and fisheries management.
My lab group uses massively parallel sequencing, single nucleotide polymorphisms, and microsatellite markers to study otherwise cryptic aspects of biology. My graduate students work on a variety of questions in ecology and evolution, including conservation issues (e.g., eagle demography and whale population structure).
Our work has been funded by a variety of state, regional, and federal agencies. These include the Indiana Department of Transportation/Joint Transportation Research Program, the Great Lakes Fishery Trust, the National Birds of Prey Trust, the USDA, the USFWS, the Bureau of Land Management, and the National Geographic Society. Most of our long-term funding has come from the National Science Foundation.
Honors and Awards:
- Elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2016.
- Recipient of Purdue University’s 2011 Agricultural Research Award. “This Award is the highest honor given by the College of Agriculture’s Research Office and reflects exceptional contributions to the field of ecological and evolutionary genetics”. The award an honorarium funded by earnings of the Charles Guthrie Patterson Memorial Endowment and Matthew Morgan Hamilton Funds.
- Recipient of 2011-2012 Outstanding Graduate Educator Award in Forestry & Natural Resources
- Named a Purdue University Faculty Scholar, 2009. “The University Faculty Scholars Program recognizes outstanding faculty members who are on an accelerated path for academic distinction” and includes annual funding for research and/or an honorarium.
- Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Scholar 1995-1996 and in 1996-1997
- Distinguished Student Award for Academic Excellence, Texas A&M University 1991