Advice/Information for students
- Useful Things to Know About Ph.D. Thesis Research, by H.T. Kung
- Original version of The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr.
- George D. Gopen and Judith A. Swan's The Science of Scientific Writing, American Scientist, November-December, 1990, 78(6), pp. 550-558.
- Henning Schulzrinne's page on Writing Technical Articles
- How To Do A Literature Review?
- Alan Meier's page on How to Review a Technical Paper
- Alan Jay Smith's paper The Task of the Referee, IEEE Computer, April 1990, 23(4), pp. 65-71
- Marie des Jardin's paper How to Succeed in Graduate School
- Dave Patterson's talk on How to Have a Bad Career
- Transcript of Richard Hamming's talk You and Your Research
- Levin and Redell's paper on An Evaluation of the Ninth SOSP Submissions -or- How (and How Not) to Write a Good Systems Paper
- Outputting figures from matlab
- Getting started with LaTeX (by Prof. Sara McMains, UC Berkeley)
- LaTeX: Obsolete packages and document classes - Avoid usage!
- Detach/resume computer jobs with GNU Screen.
- My notes on getting started with Git - Fast Version Control System.
- A more detailed instruction on Git (in Chinese).
- My notes on recovering Ubuntu packages.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)