We are going to start the vocation reading group next Thursday (May 19) at 8pm.
Just to give a bit more info–the focus of the reading group will be on the role of work in the overarching call of being faithful to God. We will take a look at what various writers have to say about this topic, focusing on questions such as:
· What does it mean to be faithful to God in and through our work?
· What are the implications of the concept of “calling” on the way we approach our vocations?
· How can work serve as a context for spiritual growth?
· What can we glean from the Scriptures about the purpose of work in our lives?
· How can our particular vocations contribute to the renewal of the world?
We will have short readings for each week. We will likely kick off our discussions by reading excerpts, so don’t worry if you don’t have time to do the readings every week. Some of the authors we will draw from include Os Guinness, Dallas Willard, N.T. Wright, and Dorothy Sayers.
The first book we will discuss is The Call by Os Guinness. Next week will be an intro to the topic, and we will discuss Chapters 5 and 6 of The Call on May 26. We will probably spend a few weeks on this book, so you may want to buy a copy if you plan to join. Used copies are available on Amazon for around $4.
Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions!
See you soon,