- Energy and environmental markets, systems and policy modeling and analysis
- Optimization, complementarity problems, and variational inequalities, with applications to game theory and industrial organization
- Investment under uncertainty and competition, portfolio optimization, and risk management in energy markets
- Assistant Professor, 08/2009 - present
School of Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- Senior Associate, 09/2005 - 08/2009
ICF International, Fairfax, VA
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics and Statistics (2009)
Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, Johns Hopkins University
- M.S.in Mathematical Sciences (2002)
Department of Mathematical Sciences, Johns Hopkins University
- B.S. in Applied Mathematics (2000)
Department of Applied Mathematics, Beijing Institute of Technology
- IE 690: Optimization, Game Theory, and Uncertainty (Fall 2013) [Syllabus]
- IE 590: Power Systems and Smart Grid (Spring 2012, 2013, 2014) [Syllabus]
- IE 546: Economic Decisions in Engineering (Spring 2010) [Syllabus]
- IE 538: Nonlinear Optimization Algorithms and Models (Spring 2010) [Syllabus]
- IE 230: Probability and Statistics in Engineering I (Fall 2009, 2011, 2012)
- A. L. Liu and B. F. Hobbs. Tacit collusion games in pool-based electricity markets under transmission constraints.
Mathematical Programming, Series B, Vol. 140, No. 2, pp 351 - 379, 2013.[PDF]
- Y. Chen and A. L. Liu. Emissions trading, point-of-regulation and facility siting choices in the electric markets.
Journal of Regulatory Economics, online first, 2013. [PDF]
- C. D. Davis, D. J. Gotham, P. V. Preckel and A. L. Liu. Determining the impact of wind on system costs via the temporal patterns of load and wind generation.
Energy Policy, Vol. 60, pp 122 - 131, 2013.
- L. S. Han and A. L. Liu. On Nash-Cournot games with price caps. Operations Research Letters Vol. 41, pp 92 - 97, 2013. [PDF]
- S. Huang, H. Safiullah, J. Xiao, B. Hodge, R. Hoffman, J. Soller, D. Jones, D. Dininger, W. E. Tyner, A. L. Liu, J. F. Pekny. The effects of electric vehicles in the City of Indianapolis.
Energy Policy. Vol. 49, pp 442 - 455, 2012. [PDF]
- S. Huang, J. Xiao, J. F. Pekny, G. V. Reklaitis, and Andrew L. Liu. Quantifying system level benefits from distributed solar and energy storage.
Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol. 138, No. 2, pp. 33 - 42, 2012. [PDF]
- Y. Chen, A. L. Liu, B. F. Hobbs. Economic and emissions implications of load-based, source-based, and first-seller emissions trading programs under California AB32.
Operations Research, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 696 - 712, 2011. [PDF]
- J. E. Harrington, B. F. Hobbs, J.-S. Pang, A. Liu, G. Roch. Collusive game solutions via optimization. Mathematical Programming, Series B Vol. 104, pp 407-435, 2005.
- A. L. Liu, B. H. Hobbs, J. Ho, J. D. McCalley, V. Krishnan, M. Shahidehpour, and Q. P. Zheng. "White Paper: Co-optimization of Transmission and Other Supply Resources."
Prepared for Eastern Interconnection States' Planning Council and National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners. To apprear online.
- Implementing Real-Time Pricing in a Smart-Grid World: A Modeling and Computational Framework. With J. Xiao.
- Implementing Dynamic Retail Electricity Prices: Quantify the Benefits of Demand-Side Energy Management Controllers. With J. Xiao.
- Multi-Agent Interdiction Games. With H. Sreekumaran and N. Uhan.
- Stochastic Optimization for Unit Commitment - A Literature Survey. With Q. Zheng and J. Wang
- Collusive Game Solutions via Global Optimization.
REFEREED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
- H. Sreekumaran and A. L. Liu. Equilibrium wind hedge contract structure through Nash Bargaining.
Proceedings of the Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2011. [PDF]
- J. Xiao, B. S. Hodge, A. L. Liu, J. F. Pekny, and G. V. Reklaitis. Long-term planning of wind
farm siting in the electricity grid. Proceedings of 21st European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering -- ESCAPE 21, 2010.
- A. L. Liu. Repeated games in electricity spot and forward markets -- An equilibrium modeling
and computational framework. Proceedings of 48th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication,
Control, and Computing, 2010. [PDF]
- T. Brady and A. L. Liu. The analysis of electricity storage location sites in the electric transmission
grid. Proceedings of the Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2010. [PDF]
- Y. Chen and A. L. Liu. Effects of allowances allocation schemes on the emissions leakage and
contract shuffling. Proceedings to 32nd IAEE International Conference, online publication, 2009. [PDF]
- J. E. Harrington, B. F Hobbs, J.-S Pang, A. Liu, and G. Roch. Collusive game solutions via optimization.
Proceedings of the NSF-ONR EPNES II workshop, 2003.
REFEREED BOOK CHAPTERS
- A. L. Liu, N. A. Uhan and F. Zhao. Scheduling for Energy Efficient Manufacturing.
Energy Efficient Manufacturing with Applications. Editors: J. W. Sutherland and B. S. Linke 2012.
- National Science Foundation (CMMI-1234057) "Collaborative Research: The Next-Generation Electricity Capacity and Transmission Expansion Model with Large-Scale Energy Storage and Renewable Resources."
Andrew L. Liu (PI). (Collaborator: Q. P. Zheng). Budget: $208,505. Project Period: 2012 - 2015.
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research (FA9550-12-1-0275) "Decentralized Network Interdiction Games." A. L. Liu (PI),
N. A. Uhan (Co-PI). Budget: $297,030.
Project period: 2012 - 2015.
- Department of Energy
- "STUDY: Conduct Study on Long-term Electric and Natural Gas Infrastructure Requirements in the Eastern Interconnection."
(Subcontracted through National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners and ICF International). Purdue PI: A. L. Liu .
Purdue budget: $26,868. Project period: 06/2013 - 06/2014.
- "Whitepaper: Co-Optimization of Transmission and other Supply Resources." (Subcontracted via National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners.)
Budget: $150K. Project period: 2012 - 2013. Collaborators: B. F. Hobbs (JHU), J. McCalley (ISU), M. Shahidehpour (IIT), P. T. Sullivan (NREL) and Q. P. Zheng (WVU).
- "Proposal to Assist the Eastern Interconnection States' Planning Council (EISPC) Members with Transmission Planning Services."
Budget: $129,652. Project period: 2012 - 2013. D. J. Gotham (PI), A. L. Liu (Co-PI) and P. Preckel (Co-PI)
- "Crossroads Smart Grid Training Program." Purdue PI: E. J. Dietz.
Duration: 2010 - 2012. Budget: $4,699,353. ($24K subcontracted to A. L. Liu .)
Operations Research, Management Science, Mathematical Programming, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management,
Optimization Methods and Software, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Journal of Global Optimization,
Networks and Spatial Economics, Optimization and Engineering, IIE Transactions, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, IEEE Transactions
on Smart Grid, PES Letters, Journal of Energy Engineering
- Institute for Operations Research and Management
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- International Association of Energy Economics (IAEE)
- IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES)