About Me

John O'MalleyA Purdue staffer since 1990, I joined the Purdue Polytechnic Institute (then known as the College of Technology) in March 2014 to serve as communication specialist for the team working to create a new competency-based degree called Transdisciplinary Studies in Technology. In early 2015, my position was folded into the college’s Marketing Communications team, where I now work on communication projects which serve the whole college. I am our team’s video specialist; I also write and edit articles, newsletters, reports, and other media for online and print distribution.

I worked in Engineering Computer Network‘s User & Desktop Services group as a Site Manager from August 2007 through March 2014, leading teams which provide centralized desktop computing support to the College of Engineering, College of Technology, Discovery Park, and the Office of the Vice President for Research.

For 13 years, I supported faculty and staff users of Windows and Macintosh computers in Purdue’s College of Liberal Arts. The ratio of Windows-based PCs to Macs there was approximately four to one — so, naturally, I spent considerably more time utilizing my Windows expertise than my Macintosh skills. Even so, people who know me from my early years on campus think of me as a “Mac guy,” perhaps dating back to my days as a student Mac consultant for the Computing Center (PUCC, now known as ITaP) in the late 1980s. I don’t mind, and I’m thrilled that Apple is so popular today!

I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication at Purdue. As a user services programmer in both PUCC and Liberal Arts, I developed and taught dozens of workshops. I also wrote and edited newsletter articles and documentation.

For 10 years, I was a local radio broadcaster at four Crawfordsville-area stations.

A viola and guitar player, I have been a liturgical musician at St.Thomas Aquinas Center in West Lafayette for more than 20 years. I serve as co-leader for one of St. Tom’s weekend choirs, and I have performed with the Aquinas Quartet. I produce the St. Tom’s choir’s charity CD recordings, television specials, and concerts. I also founded RiteSong, a local wedding music ensemble and studio.