First Anime ?

First Anime ?

Postby Rknorr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:28 am

The first anime I ever really got into was Tenchi Muyo, back when it aired on Tsunami.
What was your first anime?
Rknorr

Re: First Anime ?

Postby chapel » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:14 pm

well, my first anime was a great one. Back in the third grade my teacher showed the class Tonari no Totoro, or my neighbor totoro. About the same time i also saw The Galaxy Express 999; so they are interchangable
The reason why people lose is because they do not have Kamina to punch them in the face and tell them to believe in themselves.
chapel
One True Former A/V Tech of the Sixth Heaven and the Keeper of Royal Information

Postby digispirit » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:47 am

It's gotta be Doraemon, although it was a chinese dub.
My first American anime i think is Pokemon since i never had Cartoon Network
My first subbed anime is probably Cardcaptor Sakura, with digimon following it up
digispirit
Grand Financier and Keeper of the Treasury

Postby Catas » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:29 pm

El Hazard, Ranma 1/2, and Galaxy Angel were the anime that really got me into anime back in 2002/2003. Watched them off AXN which is a big network in Asia. Interestingly enough, they did play Cowboy Bebop dubbed in English.

I didn't understand any of it since it wasn't subbed or dubbed. Pretty much just watching the RAWs. But it got me into watching them later with subs.

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed PAC Classic is watching El Hazard. That's fecking awesome.
Catas
Eiserne Jungfrau

Postby madmantheo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 am

My answer depends on whether or not you count shows that I recognized as anime.

The first anime I saw were Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon, and Dragonball Z (in something approaching that order) back prior to their Toonami runs (Channel 4, USA, and FOX respectively). I feel old... I was 10 when I first saw them.

If you go off of which shows I actually recognized as anime, the first few would be Iria: Zeiram the Animation, Record of Lodoss Wars, Project A-ko, and Video Girl Ai. What a stunning pedigree of shows to get me into anime, no? All that was followed up by whatever junk I could dig out of our local Video Update which consisted mostly of crap (Battle Arena Toshinden, Tekken, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.) and the occasional golden title (Arcadia of My Youth, Bubblegum Crisis). That would've been 7th grade. *feels old again*

EDIT: Yes, we're watching El Hazard in Classic, and yes, we are fecking awesome!
That's twice! Not even my father ever hit me!
madmantheo
Esteemed Former President of Glorious Japanimation (Grover Cleveland remix) PAC Classic Fuhrer

Postby firedragon_jing » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:19 pm

Sadly DBZ, unless you count Power Rangers which isn't animation but still Japanese weirdness with giant robots (sounds like countless animes to me only it was Americanized worse than a 4Kids dub). I also watched The Super Mario Super Show when I was really young but I'm not sure if that really counts either. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, Fullmetal Alchemist, and FLCL really got me into anime along with manga.
firedragon_jing

Postby fullmetal » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:34 pm

DBZ was my first, as i'm sure it is for many people my age.
If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. However, if life does not also give you sugar and water, your lemonade is gonna suck.
fullmetal
Grand Press Secretary and Advertising Minister

Postby madmantheo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:11 am

I might have to hit you Ryan for putting "sadly" in front of "DBZ" when talking about your first anime. Be proud of your DBZ heritage! Embrace your inner Vegeta that happens to be wearing a pink shirt with 'Bad Man' emblazoned across the back and celebrate the point from which you emerged as an anime fan! Plus, at least you didn't have to be introduced to anime via Naruto and/or Bleach :lol:
That's twice! Not even my father ever hit me!
madmantheo
Esteemed Former President of Glorious Japanimation (Grover Cleveland remix) PAC Classic Fuhrer

Postby firedragon_jing » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:12 pm

That is true, it could have been much worse, like Naruto... Believe it. Or Hamtaro ><

Thinking back DBZ wasn't that bad, where else can you see 5 straight episodes of people powering up within the span of 5 minutes. :lol: Nah, it was good enough to keep me into anime, and it still brings random entertainment around the net.
firedragon_jing

Postby chapel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 pm

well I wouldnt knock hamtaro that bad. I did get a nice running noise from that anime......(bada bada bada bada) and naruto is alright for the first 129 episodes in japanese, and if you can handle the ninja fury. I mean its not like someones first anime was something has horrible as, well, I cant think of a bad gateway anime, maybe robotech. I hope someones first anime isnt the dubbed gurren lagann because the translations are horrible.
(rasengan does not translate to lazengan)
The reason why people lose is because they do not have Kamina to punch them in the face and tell them to believe in themselves.
chapel
One True Former A/V Tech of the Sixth Heaven and the Keeper of Royal Information

Next

Return to Anime