First Anime ?

Re: First Anime ?

Postby madmantheo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:08 am

I'll agree that Naruto was good early on, but I'll disagree on the episodes. I'd say 1-60ish was pretty solid, but after that it really went downhill, though it did experience a resurgence when they chased after Sasuke-in-a-barrel. Plus, has anybody else noticed how anytime they have a gargantuan hour-long special episode, that particular episode always blows completely. Gaara v. Sasuke? Sasuke wasn't even hurt. 3 Sannin fight? Lamest fight ever. And what happened to "one full blow from Tsunade will kill me?" I seem to recall there were like 5 of those, and at least one super-full blow.

Okay, gotta stop before the vitriol overcomes me.

But yeah, there really aren't too many "bad" gateway anime out there. Sure, they might not be the cream of the crop (though many do flirt with craptascity), but they serve the important role of birthing future full-grown otaku. Even Robotech is impressive while a total bastardization of three different series (so wait... you combined three unrelated shows... and the plot works...). Heck, I won't hesitate to admit I like the first season of Pokemon reasonably well, and I used to love Monster Rancher. The closest thing in my mind to a "bad" gateway series would be Bleach if only because its completely uninspired. It lacks the wit and charm that make several of the other Shounen Jump series enjoyable (Yu Yu Hakusho, Flame of Recca), nor does it have the originality of Dragonball/DBZ. And yes, I do feel weird inside admitting DBZ was reasonably original for its time.
That's twice! Not even my father ever hit me!
madmantheo
Esteemed Former President of Glorious Japanimation (Grover Cleveland remix) PAC Classic Fuhrer

Postby Rujikin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:42 pm

First animated show was like transformers.... Than it was either DBZ or Sailor Moon that I first for into (When we actually got cable)
Rujikin

Postby chibis223 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:28 am

Pokemon/Digimon via WB and FOX. I was not properly introduced to manga/anime until Jr HS.
chibis223

Postby Krimson_Knight » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:12 pm

Now that I think of it, I think it was either Sailor Moon or Pokemon. This makes me want to have a Pokemon marathon sometime....
Krimson_Knight

Postby Rujikin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:54 am

Krimson_Knight wrote:Now that I think of it, I think it was either Sailor Moon or Pokemon. This makes me want to have a Pokemon marathon sometime....

Pokemon marathon.... Sousuke shoot me now X_x... Why would you want to play a cartoon with a super generic story and no realism of characters? Try reading the L-Hina manga :D Its awesome! a lot better than the anime.
Rujikin

Postby Krimson_Knight » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:42 pm

It's not my favorite anime, but Pokemon does make me feel really nostalgic I still haven't seen the episode where Ash turns into a Pikachu! XD

I've read Love Hina, but I only got up to the 3rd volume. The first three were pretty good. I'm usually not really into manga that fires too much perverted jokes at once though. It did have many good laughs.
Krimson_Knight

Postby madmantheo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:11 pm

Ah Love Hina. I watched the series and then read the manga. Now I can no longer watch the anime because of its inferiority.

Also, don't be dissing on the first season of Pokemon; that's the one time when the show knew how to entertain. Certainly not high-class stuff, but good basic entertainment aimed at a younger audience. Not to mention nothing beats Ash pulling his Muk out of nowhere to smother that one awesome Bellsprout in the tournament. Best fight ever.
madmantheo
Esteemed Former President of Glorious Japanimation (Grover Cleveland remix) PAC Classic Fuhrer

Postby firedragon_jing » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:05 pm

I remember reading Love Hina, then watching the anime and going what the hell happened... at least it wasn't as inferior as the Negima anime was.

I tend to do that with a lot of manga to anime...
firedragon_jing

Postby Rujikin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:00 pm

firedragon_jing wrote:I remember reading Love Hina, then watching the anime and going what the hell happened... at least it wasn't as inferior as the Negima anime was.

I tend to do that with a lot of manga to anime...

The anime for Ken Akamatsu's works all SUCK.... He makes an awesome manga, but yet they just fail at the anime because they try to change the storyline in some stupid way as to make all the good events never happen.... Not only that but, can you find any worse voices for the english characters >_<!!! It's pathetic

:P read the manga to chapter 6 and the story really gets a lot better, it is such an awesome story line :mrgreen:
Rujikin

Postby madmantheo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:58 am

Love Hina was at least (for the most part) watchable; what we saw of Negima was downright terrible. Nothing says high-quality like your show opening with a girl in the bath dressed in a fish suit and dancing around inexplicably. We only watched one episode of it at that marathon because nobody liked it. Plus it didn't help that we had just watched Steamboy, which as we noted had as much animation in 30 seconds as Negima did in that entire episode.
madmantheo

PreviousNext

Return to Anime