Winter 2011 Season: Whatcha watchin'?

Winter 2011 Season: Whatcha watchin'?

Postby madmantheo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:02 am

Well, we're a couple weeks into the latest season of anime titles, so I figured I'd see what shows everybody is currently following.

Mouretsu Space Pirates: Despite its questionable origins as 'Mini-skirt Pirates,' this show is actually looking like it might be pretty good. Directed by the man behind Martian Successor Nadesico, this show has been getting a number of good reviews. I liked the first episode alright, and hopefully the quality continues.

Niseimonogatari: The sequel series to Bakemonogatari, I've been reasonably looking forward to this title for a bit. The original was a surprise gem that somehow managed to be complete otaku bait while also having an interesting story and characters (go figure). I'm curious as to the direction that this series will take since so far there are only hints from the first two episodes. Still, its enjoyable to see (most of) the cast returning.

Another: I'm a sucker for good horror anime, so I gladly started watching this title after hearing that it was a show that went for a strong atmospheric sense of dread, relying on the subtlety of its writing and direction to put the viewer on edge. I'm liking what I've seen so far and can only hope that it doesn't fall apart.

Area no Kishi: Like horror anime, I'm a sucker for most sports anime. The story follows the younger brother of a Japanese soccer ace, serving as manager on their school's soccer team. Needless to say, this show isn't the most original, but I'm enjoying it after a couple episodes. I don't expect it to be quite as good as Giant Killing from a couple years back, but there are certainly worse ways to pass some time.

There are still a few titles I am planning on checking out sometime soon, but these are likely the four primary shows I'll be watching this season. I'll also check out Black Rock Shooter when it comes out due to its being on the Noitamina block, a surefire sign of quality most of the time (*cough cough not-a-fan-of-Guilty-Crown cough*), though I'm not expecting to be blown away.
That's twice! Not even my father ever hit me!
madmantheo
Esteemed Former President of Glorious Japanimation (Grover Cleveland remix) PAC Classic Fuhrer

Re: Winter 2011 Season: Whatcha watchin'?

Postby SCPX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm following Nisemonogatari, since I loved Bakemonogatari. Looking forward to where it goes, especially based on the novels.

I'm also following Another, because I was following the manga before it came to anime. Don't know how it's going to do, since they'll most likely release the anime faster than the manga is being scanlated at this point.

When it comes out, I'll watch Black Rock Shooter. Otherwise, I'm just finishing anime from last season. I'm kinda curious in Zero no Tsukaima F, Brave 10, and Ano Natsu de Matteru, although I'll probably not get around to watching them before they end.
SCPX

Return to Anime