Purdue Cosplay Brigade: Fall 2011

Moderator: kitkat

Purdue Cosplay Brigade: Fall 2011

Postby MomoKurumi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 am

Hey all, by a matter of spontaneity, I have become the new cosplay club president! Allow me to introduce myself- my name is Monica, but my close nerd-friends call me Momo, especially online and at conventions or anything having to do with cosplay. You can find all of my cosplay profiles or accounts as MomoKurumi, the exception being Youtube, which is MomoKurumi3. I am on Facebook, Cosplay.com, ACP, Youtube, DeviantArt, Flickr (sort of), and several convention forums. I'm open to making new friends (obviously, or I wouldn't be president!) so if you'd like to get to know me better, Facebook is your best bet! You can add me as "Momo Kurumi"! Make sure to introduce yourself if I don't know you, or else I might wonder who you are. ;3

Anyways, I'd like to now introduce the revamped cosplay club, which has been dubbed the Purdue Cosplay Brigade! I will add more information here shortly, but until then, check out our Facebook group!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/145470188876177/

Also, until I get a bit more of a comprehensive system set up, here is the description from the callout flyers:

"Callout September 22nd (Thursday) 7pm-8pm in Stewart Center Room 213 A/B.

Like costuming? Wish Halloween was year-round? Then check out the PCB!

Part of the Purdue Anime Club, we aim to foster a community that’s not just for cosplayers, but costumers, and lovers of costumes in general! So be it Disney, gothic lolita, Star Wars, Dr. Who, Lady Gaga, DC Comics, street fashions, historical costume, or even none of the above, you’re welcome here!

Don’t know how to sew? No problem! We endorse all means of costuming- having custom made pieces, buying pieces from thrift stores, and making from scratch- be it with hot glue or stitches! We are also looking for people from all skill levels- beginner to professional to “just curious” as well as the “casual” costumer, & the dedicated cosplayer! Having a diverse community will allow us to learn from and teach each other new skills and tricks!

Momma always said hobbies keep kids off the streets and out of trouble. Bet she didn’t have this in mind though..."
ImageImageImageImageImage
In Progress:
ImageImageImage
MomoKurumi

Re: New Cosplay President and Revamped Cosplay Club (Fall 20

Postby MomoKurumi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:37 am

PCB Callout Review & Semester Preview

Thanks to all who showed up to the callout, it was wonderful to see you all there!

As for our first meeting, it will be in junction with the PAC art class, on Sunday, October 2nd, at 5:00 in the evening. I am not sure of the exact room (I can contact others to see if someone can give me the room number ahead of time) but, it will most likely be in Stewart Center, and if for whatever reason you still show up on that day and do not know the room number, it *SHOULD* be listed on one of the papers in the little showcase things on either end of the hallway. These listings tell you the events and room numbers, and are located adjacent to the windows by the stairs. The room should be reserved as “Purdue Anime Club”.

For this meeting, we will discuss how to pick who to cosplay (I promise to make this a beneficial meeting for both those who have yet to cosplay, and those who have done it before). If you have any method of deciding your own, feel free to bring visuals, stories, or whatever it is that you think would be good input to this discussion! Along with that, I ask of each of you that you bring said things for a small introduction about yourself. You can just talk about the basics, like where you’re from, who you are, what major/job you’re in, and who you’ve cosplayed and/or want to cosplay. Also, if you have or are trying to cosplay, please bring something (if anything) that shows any skills you might have. If you know how to sew, and you made a jacket, bring that! It’s okay if you have nothing to bring though- you will soon enough!

PCB Halloween Costume Party

Because dates have a way of sneaking up on us, I would also like to announce the PCB Halloween Costume Party! You can check out the event on Facebook if you have an account there. Because we do not ask for dues (as part of the PAC), we will try our best to have events that are based on our own contributions, so it’d be great if you can contribute some candy, juice, soda, plates, or things of that sort. A list of what’s already been contributed and what sorts of things we’re still looking for will be posted soon!

More Callout Review

For anyone who missed the callout or was unable to get a flyer, please let me know, and I will send you the document. Also, some things that we discussed at the meeting that are not on the flyer include having lessons on how to present yourself if competing in a cosplay competition. We will go over how to walk across the stage, how to stay in character, and what kind of poses to strike and how long to hold them! We also discussed signups for conventions.

Upcoming Cons

Some upcoming ones include NerdPow (October), SugoiCon & YoumaCon (November, same weekend), KollisionCon (November), and Anime Crossroads (December, last weekend of finals). If you are interested, please research these events, and see if you or anyone else would be interested in going. There is already interest in going to Anime Crossroads (unfortunately I cannot attend), however I am aiming to go to SugoiCon as well as KollisionCon. We will discuss these opportunites more in meetings, and may even team up with people from PAC, if it would help any!

Sorry for the very lengthy post! There is a lot of information to go over, so I hope you can take the time to read this, as it will be very helpful to know!
ImageImageImageImageImage
In Progress:
ImageImageImage
MomoKurumi

Return to Cosplay Brigade