Paint Crew Policy
Paint Crew Goal
The Paint Crew has long been one of the largest student sections in not only the Big Ten but the nation as well. The Paint Crew goal is to increase spirit, support, and general game-day atmosphere for all Men's basketball games at Mackey Arena.
All seating in the Paint Crew sections will be general admission (first come, first serve). Paint Crew members will have general admission seating in two sections, one on the north side and one on the south side of Mackey Arena. The Lottery has been established for students to increase their chance of getting the best seats on a game-by-game basis. Groups of up to 10 students can sign up for the lottery and then the line order to enter Mackey is randomly generated using a lottery wheel. See FAQs for more details.
- Students must follow the laws of the University, West Lafayette and the State of Indiana as well as the rules listed in this document.
- A Paint Crew officer will always be present to ensure that everything is carried out in a manner that will reflect well on Purdue University.
- Paint Crew officers will hold authority throughout all Paint Crew procedures and reserve the right to take appropriate action should a rule be violated or in the event of a special circumstance occur.
- Purdue Athletics reserves the right to revoke the privilege of lining up early at any time at their discretion.
- There is to be no alcohol of any kind as per University regulations. If you have alcohol, you will be asked to leave.
- Lines may begin to form starting at noon on weekdays and at 9 a.m. on weekends or non-school days.
- Camping overnight will only be allowed for designated games where the camping policy will be in affect. Refer to the camping policy for more details.
- The Paint Crew line will start at Southwest of Mackey Arena and angle left or right for either the North side seating or the South side seating.
- The line will not officially begin until a Paint Crew officer arrives on site. Any line formed prior to a Paint Crew officer's authority and the time restriction listed above will have no merit as to who was there first. The line will be formed by a random drawing (the lottery), which will take place at the designated start time (usually either noon or 9am). Any groups or individuals that arrive after the designated start time will be placed at the end of the line.
- Students will form teams with a maximum of ten (10) students. However, it is not necessary to be a part of a team, it is just a policy that will allow students to attend classes and still have a good spot in line. Only one member of each team must be present at all times, and that member must have all of the Paint Crew cards for his/her group members. If you wish to add people later, you will go to the end of the line. If your group has more people when the gates open than you had when your group signed in, you will go to the end of the line.
- If there is only one person present from your team, you may take fifteen (15) minute breaks to go to the bathroom or get food. Be sure to check in and check back with the Paint Crew officer as this person will hold discretion on this time limit and holds final say over abuse of privileges. This is the only exception to being present at all times.
- If any other team feels that someone in line is not present or is holding a place in line without vouchers they can ask for a roll call and each team must present vouchers. In the event that a team is holding a spot without following these rules they will be forced to the back of the line until they comply with the rules.
- To make time go by faster, we will allow games to be played and will have contests throughout the season so the lines will not always be uniform. We will keep an official order on paper and ask that you respect other people's belongings.
- All of your personal items (chairs, blankets, cornhole games, etc.) must be picked up and taken care of 30 minutes prior to the Mackey Arena doors opening for each game, so clean up 1 hour 45 minutes before tip-off). There will be no storage inside Mackey Arena or anywhere else so please arrange to place it in your car or have it picked up. Also, all trash, food and drinks must be discarded in the proper trash receptacles at this time. Non-compliance will result in your team moving to the end of the line. At this point, a formal line will be formed.
- As soon as each team reaches the doors all members must be present. If for example 9 of 10 members are present then your group will only receive 9 seats. If not all members of your team is present when the doors open your team is responsible for meeting up with the missing people to give them their ticket.
- When the gates open all members are asked to proceed to the entrance with respect for those around you. As you enter Mackey Arena please be courteous to ticket takers, ushers, etc. No running to the seats as we want to keep safety issues in mind at all times.
- There will be no saving seats! Seats are first come, first serve in the Paint Crew General Admission sections.
Apparel and Signs
- Every member of the Paint Crew represents the Paint Crew and more importantly Purdue University. Please conduct yourself in a manner that represents Purdue University and the Paint Crew as a first class institution and spirit group. Paint Crew members have several options as to what to wear on game days. Option one is the Paint Crew t-shirt. Option two is a black Purdue basketball jersey. Option three is a costume depending on the game. The Paint Crew officers will hold discretion over what constitutes as an acceptable costume.
- Wearing the Paint Crew t-shirt is the minimum requirement to be able to sit in the lower bowl NO PAINT CREW SHIRT OR JERSEY/COSTUME=NO LOWER BOWL. Also no red Purdue shirts or red of any kind will be permitted in the lower bowl under any circumstances. We understand that some costumes would include red but we strongly discourage such costumes.
- Signs are permitted, but must be in good taste. However, we see no harm in being creative and encourage all members to poke some good-natured fun at the other team. As always the athletic department will be the final authority on determining whether a sign is in good taste.
Standing in line early is not a requirement. It is simply a way to guarantee better seats. We advise all students to take care of themselves and their classes before worrying about a basketball game. All rules are subject to be changed, revoked, or added at the discretion of the Paint Crew Officers. However, the Paint Crew officers will make every attempt to communicate any changes through email, Facebook, and our website.
Membership includes: official Paint Crew t-shirt, preseason and postseason pizza party w/Team autograph session, cheap and free road trips to away games, game day scouting reports, discounted BIG10 Tournament tickets, discounted Crossroad Classic tickets, changes with win free Purdue gear, game watch parties in Mackey for select away game, McDonald's coupons, free Gold and Black Illustrated online membership, and more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name & permanent (home) address and email. Sign up today!
The Paint Crew prides themselves on providing members with the exclusive (and not to mention cheap!) opportunity to travel across the country and see some exciting Boilermaker Basketball action! Every year we plan exciting opportunities to see the Boilers make waves away from Mackey Arena, so keep your eyes pealed for more road trip information every season. March 3rd is our next road trip versus Wisconsin. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Vice President Billy Plant at email@example.com