- PhD. in Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, August 2004.
- MSc. in Engineering Hydrology, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland, December 2000.
- B.Engg. in Environmental Engineering, Shivaji University, India, May 1997.
GIS applications in water resources engineering with specific focus on river channels; surface water hydrology; hydraulics; fluid mechanics and water quality modeling.
RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Assistant Professor, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, Aug 2007 to present.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Civil Engineering, Purdue University, Aug 2006 to July 2007.
- Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Jan 2006 to Aug 2006.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Center for Research in Water Resources, University of Texas at Austin, Sep 2004 to Aug 2006.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Center for Research in Water Resources, University of Texas at Austin, Jan 2001 to Aug 2004.
- Research and Teacing Assistant, Department of Engineering Hydrology, National University of Ireland, Galway, Jan 2000 to Dec 2000.
- Research Intern, Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI), Redlands, CA, July 2002 to August 2002.
- Project Engineer, Montgomery Watson Harza, India, July 1997 to September 1999.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2011 Purdue’s Zimmerman Civil Engineering Innovation Award.
- Co-recepeint of 2011 Quentin Martin Best Practice Paper Award for the journal article “Linking GIS, Hydraulic Modeling, and Tabu Search for Optimizing a Water Level- Monitoring Network in South Florida” in the ASCE Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management.
- 2010 Outstanding Reviewer for the ASCE Journal of Hydrologic Engineering.
- Winner of Irish Government Fellowship Award for pursuing MSc (Hydrology) in Ireland (1999).
- Ranked first at the May 1997 Bachelor of Engineering exams at Shivaji University, India.
With student and other colleagues
- Younghun Jung (graduate student, Purdue University) - 2nd place at the 2011 Association of State Floodplain Managers' Student Paper Comeptition for his presentation on " Uncertainty Quantification in Flood Inundation Mapping" (co-authored with Venkatesh Merwade)
- Sanjiv Kumar (graduate student, Purdue University) – Winner of 2010 AGU Fall Meeting Outstanding Student Paper Award (Hydrology Section) for his poster “Future Water Resource Scenarios for USA: Effects of Land Use/Cover Change, Climate Change and Human Disturbance” (co-authored with Venkatesh Merwade and Bryan Pijanowski)
- Sanjiv Kumar (graduate student, Purdue University) – Winner of 2009 AGU Spring Assembly Outstanding Student Paper Award (Hydrology Section) for his presentation “CCSM Modeling for studying the impact of wetland drainage on hydro-climatology of the Midwest USA” (co-authored with Venkatesh Merwade)
- Sanjiv Kumar (graduate student, Purdue University) – Winner of 2008 AGU Fall Meeting Outstanding Student Paper Award (Hydrology Section) for his poster “Hydro-climatological impact of century long drainage in Midwestern United States” (co-authors include Venkatesh Merwade and Dan Bain).
- Sanjiv Kumar (graduate student, Purdue University) – Winner of first prize at TeraGrid’08 graduate student research competition for his poster “Cyberinfrastructure for Environmental Data and Modeling” (co-authors include Venkatesh Merwade, Carol Song and Lan Zhao).
- Monica River-Casado (graduate student, Cranfield University, UK) – Winner of Young Scientist' Outstanding Poster Paper award for her poster “Scaling of river depth data from mesoscale to macroscale using geostatistical techniques” (co-authors include Sue White, P. Bellamy, D. Booker, M. Dunbar, Venkatesh Merwade and Ian Maddock).
- American Society of Civil Engineers.
- American Geophysical Union.
- American Water Resources Association.
- Data-Driven Cyberlearning for Geoscience and Hydrology Education, CUAHSI 2010 Biennial Science Meeting Workshop, Boulder, CO, July 2010.
- GIS and Water Resources Modeling Workshop, Purdue University, May 24-26, 2010.
- GIS and Water Resources Modeling Workshop, Purdue University, August 3-5, 2009.
- GIS and Water Resources Modeling Workshop - week long traning workshop for working professionals, Purdue University, January 2008.
- Participated as Senior Investigator in a week long workshop on curriculum development for a course in interdisciplinary modeling of aquatic ecosystems organized by University of Nevada, Reno, July 2005.
- Building Digital Watershed – a half day training workshop offered at the CUAHSI HIS symposium, University of Texas at Austin, March 2005.