Research Papers on Photovoltaics
- Peter Bermel, Kaz Yazawa, Jeffery L. Gray, Xianfan Xu, and Ali Shakouri, "Hybrid strategies and technologies for full spectrum solar conversion," Energy & Environmental Science (advance online publication, August 15, 2016). [pdf | http ].
- Yubo Sun, Xingshu Sun, Steve Johnston, Carolin M. Sutter-Fella, Mark Hettick, Ali Javey, and Peter Bermel, "Voc Degradation in TF-VLS Grown Solar Cells," IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 43 (June 5-10, 2016). [pdf].
- Haejun Chung, Rahul Singh, Lokendra Kuma, Muhammad A. Alam, and Peter Bermel, "Characterization and Redesign of Perovskite/Silicon Tandem Cells," IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 43 (June 5-10, 2016). [pdf].
- James E. Moore, Xufeng Wang, Elizabeth K. Grubbs, Jennifer Drayton, Steve Johnston, Dean Levi, Mark S. Lundstrom, Peter Bermel, "Photoluminescence Excitation Spectroscopy Characterization of Cadmium Telluride Solar Cells," IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 43 (June 5-10, 2016). [pdf].
- Haejun Chung, Chao Zhou, Xin Tze Tee, K-Y. Jung, and Peter Bermel. "Hybrid dielectric light trapping designs for thin-film CdZnTe/Si tandem cells." Optics Express 24, A1008-A1020 (2016). [http | pdf ]
- Jayprakash Bhosale, James E. Moore, Xufeng Wang, Peter Bermel, and Mark S. Lundstrom. "Steady-state photoluminescent excitation characterization of semiconductor carrier recombination." Review of Scientific Instruments 87, no. 1 (2016): 013104. http | pdf]
- Haejun Chung, Xingshu Sun, Peter Bermel, "Optical approaches to improving perovskite/Si tandem cells," MRS Advances 1 (published online, January 18, 2016). [http | pdf preprint]
- Chao Zhou, Haejun Chung, Xufeng Wang, and Peter Bermel, "Design of CdZnTe & Crystalline Silicon Tandem Junction Solar Cells," IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics (accepted, September 17, 2015). [pdf pre-print].
- Peter Bermel, Reza Asadpour, Chao Zhou, Muhammad A Alam, "A modeling framework for potential induced degradation in PV modules," Proceedings of SPIE 9563, Reliability of Photovoltaic Cells, Modules, Components, and Systems VIII, 95630C (September 23, 2015); doi:10.1117/12.2188813 [http | pdf ]
- Haejun Chung, K.-Y. Jung, and Peter Bermel, "Flexible flux plane simulations of parasitic absorption in nanoplasmonic thin-film silicon solar cells," Optical Materials Express 5, 2054-2068 (2015). [ http | pdf preprint]
- Maxwell Zheng, Hsin-Ping Wang, Carolin M. Sutter-Fella, Corsin Battaglia, Shaul Aloni, Xufeng Wang, James Moore, Jeffrey W. Beeman, Mark Hettick, Matin Amani, Wei-Tse Hsu, Joel W. Ager, Peter Bermel, Mark Lundstrom, Jr-Hau He andAli Javey, "Thin-film solar cells with InP absorber layers directly grown on nonepitaxial metal substrates," Advanced Energy Materials (2015). doi:10.1002/aenm.201501337 [http | pdf]
- Steve Johnston, Alyssa Allende Motz, James Moore, Maxwell Zheng, Ali Javey, Peter Bermel, "Photoluminscence imaging characterization of thin-film InP," IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 42 (June 14-18, 2015). [pdf pre-print]
- Yubo Sun1, Kyle H. Montgomery2, Xufeng Wang1, Stephanie Tomasulo4, Minjoo Larry Lee3, Peter Bermel1, "Modeling Wide Bandgap GaInP Photovoltaic Cells For Conversion Efficiencies Up to 16.5%," IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 42 (June 14-18, 2015). [pdf pre-print ]
- Xufeng Wang, Jayprakash Bhosale, James Moore, Rehan Kapadia, Peter Bermel, Ali Javey, and Mark Lundstrom, "Photovoltaic Material Characterization with
Steady-State and Transient Photoluminescence," IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 5(1), 282-287 (2015). [http | pdf preprint]
- M. Ryyan Khan, Xufeng Wang, Peter Bermel, and Muhammad A. Alam, "Enhanced light trapping in solar cells with a meta-mirror following Generalized Snell's law," Opt. Express 22, A973-A985 (2014) [ http | pdf ] .
- Peter Bermel, Xufeng Wang, and Gary J. Cheng, "Photonic Systems for Crystalline Silicon and Thin-Film Photovoltaic Manufacturing," Shimon Nof and Andrew M. Weiner, Eds., Laser and Photonic Systems: Design and Integration (Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis, 2014). [http | pdf]
- H. Chung, K-Y. Jung, X. T. Tee, and P. Bermel, "Time domain simulation of tandem silicon solar cells with optimal textured light trapping enabled by the quadratic complex rational function," Opt. Express 22, A818-A832 (2014). [ http | pdf ]
- X. Wang, M. Khan, M. Lundstrom, and P. Bermel, "Performance-limiting factors for GaAs-based single nanowire photovoltaics," Opt. Express 22, A344-A358 (2014). [ http | pdf ]
- Shimon Y. Nof, Gary J. Cheng, Andrew M. Weiner, Xin W. Chen, Avital Bechar, Marshall G. Jones, Claude B. Reed, Alkan Donmez, Thomas D. Weldon, Peter Bermel, Satish T. S. Bukkapatnam, Changqing Cheng, Soundar R. T. Kumara, Arden Bement, Richard Koubek, Bopaya Bidanda, Yung C. Shin, Agostino Capponi, Seokcheon Lee, Mark R. Lehto, Andrew L. Liu, Omid Nohadani, Marcos Dantus, Peter W. Lorraine, David D. Nolte, Robert W. Proctor, Harshad P. Sardesai, Leyuan Shi, Juan P. Wachs, Xi-Cheng Zhang, "Laser and Photonic Systems Integration: Emerging Innovations and Framework for Research and Education," Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service Industries 23, 483-516 (2013). [ http | pdf ]
- P. Bermel, "Photon management and beyond for photovoltaics," Optics Communications, corrected proof available online, October 25, 2013. [ http | pdf ]
- Leo T. Varghese, Yi Xuan, Ben Niu, Li Fan, Peter Bermel, Minghao Qi, "Enhanced photon management of thin-film silicon solar cells using inverse opal photonic crystals with 3D photonic bandgaps," Advanced Optical Materials, early view online, July 19, 2013. [ http | pdf ]
- Michael Ghebrebrhan, Peter Bermel, Yehuda Avniel, John
D. Joannopoulos, Steven G. Johnson, "Global optimization of silicon
photovoltaic cell front coatings", Optics Express 17, 7505 (2009)
http | pdf ]
- Lirong Zeng, Peter Bermel, Yasha Yi, B.A. Alamariu, Kurt
A. Broderick, J. Liu, C. Hong, Xiaoman Duan, John D. Joannopoulos, and
Lionel C. Kimerling, "Demonstration of Enhanced Absorption in Thin
Film Si Solar Cells with Textured Photonic Crystal Back Reflector",
Applied Physics Letters 99, 221105 (2008)
| pdf ]
- Peter Bermel, Chiyan Luo, Lirong Zeng, Lionel C. Kimerling, and
John D. Joannopoulos, "Improving thin-film crystalline silicon solar
cell efficiencies with photonic crystals", Optics Express 15, 16986 (2007)
[ Abstract | http |
- M. Ryyan Khan, Peter Bermel, and Muhammad A. Alam, "Thermodynamic limits of solar cells with non-ideal optical response," 39th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (Tampa, FL, June 16-19, 2013). [ pdf ]
- Lirong Zeng, Peter Bermel, Yasha Yi, Bernard A. Alamariu, Kurt A. Broderick, Jifeng Liu, Ching-yin Hong, Xiaoman Duan, John Joannopoulos and Lionel C. Kimerling, "Realization of Significant Absorption Enhancement in Thin Film Silicon Solar Cells with Textured Photonic Crystal Backside Reflector," Materials Research Society Proceedings, vol. 1123, P02.1 (2008). [http ]
- Lirong Zeng, Peter Bermel, Yasha Yi, Ning-ning Feng, Bernard
A. Alamariu, Ching-yin Hong, Xiaoman Duan, John Joannopoulos, and
Lionel C. Kimerling, "Optimization of Textured Photonic Crystal
Backside Reflector for Si Thin Film Solar Cells", Materials Research
Society Proceedings, vol. 974E, CC2.6 (2006) [
Last updated: August 16, 2016.