Welcome to the
Purdue Salsa Club!
We are one of the biggest, most active student organizations at Purdue in West Lafayette.
We teach classes in Salsa, Bachata, and other fun Latin dances. Join us in one of our classes or one of our several parties!
The Salsa Club is very pleased to announce that, this semester, we will be offering both in-person lessons and virtual ones starting next week!
Lets talk about the 'rona....
Per Purdue's COVID-19 guidance, wearing masks will be mandatory for in-person classes, which will avoid partnerwork. However, the classes will still teach footwork, shines, and bodyrolls. We hope these modifications are temporary. The goal is to keep the club going and everyone safe and healthy during this unprecedented time. To ensure everyone's safety, salsa club will do its best by:
- Sanitizing the room before and after each class.
- Provide hand sanitizer stations
- Measuring everybody's temperature
- Providing masks, if you forget yours.
- Instructors, and officers reserve the right to dismiss anyone whose mask is not considered adequate.
- Tuesday - online salsa class from 7-8pm EST time
- Thursday - in-person lessons
- 6:15 - 7pm - salsa level 1
- 7:15 - 8pm - salsa level 2
- 8:15 - 9pm - bachata
Free Classes! (for two weeks)
For virtual class, we will be offering it once a week, every Tuesday, from 7-8pm. First two weeks of class are free to access. Starting on the week of Sep 22nd, only paid members will receive a password to access this online class. For virtual class, we will be offering it once a week, every Tuesday, from 7-8pm. Information to access online class for the first two weeks:
- Meeting link: https://purdue-student.webex.com/purdue-student/j.php?MTID=m23c6c5b4fcfdbbff53677884ced2c319
- Meeting number: 172 215 5314
- Password: PurdueSalsa2020
- Host key: 672278
Membership fee will remain $35.00 this semester. However, if for any reason our club cannot continue its regular function before mid October, then your membership fee will roll over to next semester. The first two weeks of class are free to access. Starting on the week of Sep 21st, only paid members will receive a password to access this online class.
- Only Purdue students, staff, or faculty can attend the in-person classes. Members that are not affiliated with Purdue can join the virtual ones ONLY.
- There will be 3 in-person learning classes offered every Thursday. Each class will last 45 mins, with no more than 20 people per class. Each member can attend one of the three in-person classes being offered per week. Class will be based on first come first serve.
- All attendees will be required to bring their own mask and wear it throughout the duration of the class (Note: mask must cover nose and mouth; different types of facial coverings offer different degrees of protection, therefore we will not accept scarfs, paper masks, or anything that is considered inadequate).
- Everyone's temperature will be measured before entering the classroom using a contactless infrared thermometer.
- To ensure social distancing, partner dancing will not be taught or allowed this semester. Instructors will be focusing on footwork, styling, and echnique instead.
- Attendance will be tracked through your Event Pass (See below). For additional information, please reference https://engagesupport.campuslabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003833886
Event Pass Info :)
If you are using a browser:
- Sign in to BoilerLink.
- Click on the bubble on the top right with your initials.
- Click on the Event Pass.
- You will have the option to download this to Apple Wallet or Android Pay.
If you are on the Corq app:
- Open your menu in Corq
- Click on Event Pass
Christina Piedra is the Artistic Director of NJ's Cultural Explosion Dance Company as well as Director of the NJ Island Touch Team, NJ TOUCH. She has been performing, teaching, choreographing, and directing Salsa and Bachata teams for over 10yrs. Her background is in Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Lyrical, Hip-Hop and Competitive Dance Team. She then trained in Salsa/Mambo & Latin Dance, and after many years of teaching and performing nationally and internationally she is considered a Master instructor in Salsa, Mambo, Cha-Cha, etc., and is a world-renowned Latin dance performer.
Christina has graced countless stages in the US, the Caribbean, and Europe performing with Juan Calderon and the Cultural Explosion Dance Company. She is the Artistic Director and also the Head Choreographer for the company, and her creative choreographies are always memorable for having a perfect balance of technical precision with unique music and themes.
She is a magnetic performer, recognized for her charisma and incredible stage presence, and her amazing ability to freestyle so musically that she makes her freestyles look like choreographies. Christina is known for being an expert follower with the ability to any lead, and she is also known for her feminine and graceful styling and especially for her fluid, elegant arms. Add to that her incredible lines and extension and it's no wonder she has had such success in the Salsa/Bachata scene. She has developed a signature style by incorporating her Classical Dance background into her Latin dancing and the results have been admired and emulated by many.
Juan Calderon is a world known dance instructor/choreographer/performer and entrepreneur. What sets him apart from other instructors is his background in both his formal education and dance. Juan studied business management at Seton Hall University which set his foundation to build the Cultural Explosion brand. He treated his dance company and school like a fortune 500 company using the same techniques that work in the world of business but translating them into the world of dance.
When it comes to his dance education, Juan went the unconventional route of learning multiple styles of dance at the same time. While a college student he took a part time job at United Airlines to fly to major cities to train with the top Salsa instructors around the world. This education of multiple styles put Juan at an immediate advantage since he was able to teach, perform and social dance different styles as soon as he entered the convention circuit. Since different cities had different markets of which style is mostly used, Juan put himself in the position of being easily marketable regardless of what style was preferred by the hosting city.
Juan is a master instructor on Salsa On 1, Salsa On 2, Rueda De Casino, LA Style, NY Style, Miami Style and Puerto Rican Style. In addition Juan has also added to his repertoire Bachata, Sensual Bachata, Bachata Fusion, Kizomba, Urban Kiz, Kizomba Fusion, Zouk, Zoukchata, Zouk Fusion. In the biggest Bachata Congress in the United States (the Washington DC Bachata Congress), Juan had the most packed workshop of the weekend in 2015 and his class was so well attended it was chosen by the Washington Post Newspaper to be featured. Photos of his lesson were printed in the newspaper and have helped Bachata spread even further in the United States.
Juan and his dancers gained worldwide recognition very quickly which set the stage for Juan's first DVD. Juan's first instructional DVD became an overnight sensation and climbed to the highest sales on Amazon.com over many well known instructional videos. This allowed Juan Calderon and Cultural Explosion to enter the world of international dance conventions and tours of North America, Latin America & Europe, since his DVD was being sold around the world at Barnes & Nobles, Target, Walmart and through the internet. In a few years Juan earned 4 lifetime achievement awards from some of the world's biggest and most famous Latin Dance Conventions including the East Coast Salsa Congress & West Coast Salsa Congressos (in Los Angeles California by Albert Torres). Which at the time were the 2 biggest Latin Dance events in the USA.
Most recently Juan has added to his thorough teaching style a holistic approach which takes elements from other disciplines. How has this impacted his teaching and his relevance in the world of Latin Dance? Well, in the last 2 years Juan has been to over 30 countries spreading his style of dance, instruction and philosophy. He not only teaches workshops to the public but also has trained instructors in 6 continents.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Salsa?
Salsa is a distillation of several Latin and Afro-Caribbean dances. Subtle hip movements and intimate dance positions make Salsa a sexy dance.
Can the club teach my group/party? Who should I contact?
Certainly, just contact us through our site (at the bottom) or at email@example.com.
Do I need to have dance experience?
Not at all! We teach Salsa classes for all levels.
Do I need to have a partner?
No, we are a social dance club - we dance with many partners. You are welcome, however, to invite your friends!
How do I join the club?
Just come to our callouts or any class and pay your dues. We'll give you your membership card, and you're in!
How much does it cost to join?
Dues are $35 for one semester, or $60 for the full year. Make checks payable to "Purdue Salsa Club"
When and where are classes?
I missed callouts or half the semester - is it too late to join?
Not at all! Just come to one of our classes and talk to our instructors.