Research in my group combines a comprehensive knowledge of materials science, materials chemistry, materials mechanics and advanced manufacturing to solve scientific and industrial problems in materials processing and applications ==============================================================================================================================================================================
(Photos @ 2017: Golf with colleagues September, trip to Germany June and Study Abroad to UK January)
- Siming Ma (Ross Fellow), Additive manufacture of aluminum matrix composites, 2017. 08-
(TMS2019 in San Antonio Texas where Siming gave his first presentation to an international conference)
- Aoke Jiang (TA), Hybride flexible electronics devices, 2017,08-
- Corey Vian, Failure of die coatings for diecasting of aluminum, 2015, 08-
- Mohamad Yasin, Development of high strength and high ductility aluminum alloys for diecasting, 2015,08-
Accepting applicantions for PhD for fall 2019 with possibility to apply for university fellowships. Also accepting MS applications.
1) Aluminum grain refinement
2) In-situ fabrication of aluminum metal matrix composites
3) Secondary phases
4) Specialty Al alloys (Al-Sc related)
5) Diecasting of aluminum
Proposed a dynamic nucleation theory for the grain refinement of aluminum by using Al-Ti-B master alloys.
New lubricant for diecasting is commercialized (CastArmor LLC)
- Importance: These are industrial projects to improve the quality and productivity of diecasting process.
1) Microstructure evolution of near-alpha Ti and beta-Ti alloys;
2) Biomedical applications of beta-Ti;
3) Fatigue of titanium jet engine components, dwell fatigue, low cycle fatigue and high cycle fatigue.
- Important findings: Fatigue mechanisms of jet engine compressors are investigated down to a dislocation level, and the fatigue life of jet engine compressors can be improved effectively based on the knowledge gained.
d) Transmission electron microscopy:
1) Deformation mechanics of HCP metals
2) Phase identification by EELS
- Importance: It is essential to use transmission electron microscopic techniques to characterize materials in understanding the mechanisms of phase transformation and mechanical properties etc. particularly using electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS) and diffraction techniques.
e) Flexible Hybrid Electronics:
f) Fatigue of Light Metals:
Initiation and propagation of cracks in fatigue
g) Additive manufacturing:
Beta-Ti for biomedical applications; H13 steel for die casting
High strength aluminum matrix composites: Trask fund
Principle Investigator (PI):
On-demonding Casting of Net-shape Titanium Components for Improved Weapon Systems, DOD $400,000 (2018- 2023)
Refractory for Melting Aluminum, Ryobi Diecasting (USA) INC $5,000 (2018-2019)
Additive Manufacture of High Strength Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites, PRF $25,000 (2017-)
Magnesium diecasting alloy development, Eon Technology (China) $26,000 (2016-2018)
Microstructure characterization of titanium wires, Medtronic INC $18,000 (2015-2019)
Co-Principle Investigator (Co-PI):
Laboratory & University Core Facility Research Equipment: High Cycle Fatigue Test System, Purdue University $20,000 (2015)
Die Lube Chemistry Optimization, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles $80,000 (2015)
Investigation of Squeeze Casting vs Die Casting for Structural Aluminum Parts, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles $80,000 (2015)
Member of TMS Honors & Professional Recognition Committee, 2019-
Organizer/Co-organizer, Symposia on Light Metal Technology/Multifunctional ceramic- and Metal-matrix Composites in Materials Science and Technology (MS&T) 2019, Portland OR, USA
Organizing and Academic Committee Member, COM2020, Toronto, Canada
Founder/Co-Owner, CastArmor LLC. a company produces active lubricant for the die-casting of high strength and high ductility aluminum alloys, 2018-
Member of an award Committee of TMS, 2016-
Member of Board of Review (Key Reader), Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, since 2016-
Member of Board of Review (Key Reader), Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, since 2018-
Member of Materials Section Committee, Metallurgy and Materials Society, Canada, since 2016-
Co-organizer for symposia on Light Metal Technology (co-organizing with CIM) /Multifunctional ceramic- and Metal-matrix Composites in Materials Science and Technology (MS&T) 2018, Columbus OH, USA
Invited talk and session chair, TMS 2018, Phoenix, USA
Organizer, the first symposium on Light Metal Technology in Materials Science and Technology (MS&T) 2016, Salt Lake City USA
Organizing and Academic Committee Member and Session chair, COM2014, Vacouver, Canada
Organizing and Academic Committee Member and Session chair, COM2015, Toronto, Canada
Invited talk, TMS 2016, Nashville, USA
Reviewer for journals and NSF(USA) & NSERC (Canada) proposals
Entrepreneureship Learning Academy Award to Xiaoming Wang, Purdue Discovery Park (April 2019)
Former group members:
Dr. YongSheng Wang (visiting scholar), Taiyuan University of Technology, 11/01/2017-11/01/2018
Dr. Jie Song, Postdoc 2/28/2017- 8/27/2018
Miss. Dan Huang (MSc, thesis base) 2016.08 -2018. 05, PhD student with Civil Engineering at Purdue 2018-
Mr. Xingtao Liu (MSc, thesis base) 2015.08 -2017. 05, and PhD student under my name with Purdue Polytechnic Institute 2017.08- 2018.08 (not completed).
Mr. Haibin Ma, (MSc, thesis base) 2015.01-2016.05, Engineer of American Aaxle and Manufacturing, 2016.07-
Mr. Qiheng Liu (MSc, 3+1+1 course base) 2017. 01-2017. 08
Professor Hongmei Zhu (visiting scholar), from Southen China University, 10/2017-7/30/2018
Professor Jian Liu (visiting scholar), from Xi'An University of Technology, 2/22/2017-2/23/2018
Mr. He Li (visiting PhD student), from Beijing University of Technology 09/2017-03/2018
Mr. Jinyao Yu (visiting undergraduate student), from Central South University, 2017.01.17-02.17
Google Scholars page.
- S. Ma, X. Zhuang and X. Wang,3D micromechanical simulation of the effects of particle size, fraction and distribution on the mechanical behaviors of in-situ Al3Ti/A356 composites, Submitted to Composites Part B.
- S. Ma, Y.S. Wang and X. Wang, The in-situ formation of Al3Ti reinforcing particulates in an Al-7wt%Si alloy and their effects on mechanical properties, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 792, 365-374.
- S. Ma and X. Wang, Mechanical properties and fracture of in-situ Al3Ti particulate reinforced A356 composites, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 754, 46-56.
- S. Ma and X. Wang, The Effects of Strontium Addition on the Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Al-7Si Alloy Reinforced with In Situ Al3Ti Particulates, Light Metals 2019, 1485-1490.
- Y.S. Wang, F. Tian, B. B. Qiao, S. M. Ma, X. T. Wang, X. M. Wang, A.D. Lan, Mechanical property and serration behavior of Ti-based metallic glassy composites reinforced by an in-situ dendrite phase, Materials Science and Engineering: A 743 (2019), 301-308.
- R.K. Linghu, Y.S. Wang, J.Z. Song, A.D. Lan, X.M. Wang, J. Xu, Deformation and mechanical properties of Ti-based metallic glassy composites at various temperature and strain rate, Materials Science and Engineering: A 736 (2018) 167-174.
- Y.S. Wang, R.S. Gao, R.K. Linghu, A.D. Lan, S.H. Sun, J. Xu, X.M. Wang, Distinct compressive and tensile behavior of a metallic glassy composite at elevated temperature, Materials Science and Engineering: A 735 (2018) 441-447.
- D. Huang, D. Yan, S. Ma, and X,. Wang, Scandium on the formation of in-situ TiB2 particulates in an aluminum matrix, Journal of Materials Research, 33 (2018) 2721-2727.
- Y.S. Wang, R.K. Linghu, Y.Y. Liu, J.X. Hu, J. Xu, J.W. Qiao, X.M. Wang, Superplasticity and constitutive relationship in a Ti-based metallic glassy composite, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 751 (2018) 391-198.
- M.I. Pech-Canul, S. Valdez, L. Gonzalez, G. Newaz, X. Wang, C. Leon-Patino, Updating definitions and concepts in the discipline of composite materials, Proceedings of Materials Science and Technology (MS&T) 2018, Columbus, OH, pp. 1326-1333.
- X. Wang and X. Liu, Phase Formation of Monotectic Al-In and Al-Ga-In Alloys and Implications Thereof, Light Metals 2018, 279-283.
- X. Wang, Master alloys: Master alloys for grain refinement, in Encyclopedia of Aluminum and Its Alloys, Ed. G. Totten, M. Tiryakioglu and O. Kessler, CRC Press of Taylor and Francis Group, 2018.
- H. Li , X. Wang , L. Chai, H. Wang, Z. Chen, Z. Xiang, Microstructure and mechanical properties of an in-situ TiB2/Al-Zn-Mg-Cu-Zr composite fabricated by Melt-SHS process, Materials Science & Engineering A 720, 60-68.
- X. Wang, Boride phase formation in aluminum, Journal of alloys and Compounds, 722 (2017) 502-506.
- X. Liu, Y. Liu, D. Huang, Q. Han & X. Wang,Tailoring in-situ TiB2 particulates in aluminum matrix composites, Materials Science & Engineering A 705 (2017) 55-61.
- X. Yao, X. Wang, Y. Jiang etc., Improved stability of depletion heterojunction solar cells employing cation-exchange PbS quantum dots Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 164 (2017) 122-127.
- D. Yan, X. Wang, G. Littlefair, Flow Patterns in Shoulder Zone during Scroll Tool Friction Stir Welding Thick 6061 Aluminum Plates, in Proceedings of Friction Stir Welding and Processing IX, Ed. Y. Hovanski, R. Mishra, Y. Sato, P. Upadhyay, D. Yan, (2017) 137-143.
- X. Liu, Y. Liu, D. Yan, Q. Han and X. Wang, Aluminum alloys with tailored TiB2 particles for composite applications, Light Metals 2017, 181-186.
- X. Wang, J. Song, W. Vian, H. Ma, Q. Han, The interface of TiB2 and Al3Ti in molten aluminum, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B (47) 6, 3285-3290.
- X. Wang, Dislocation Evolution of Dwell Fatigue Near-alpha Titanium Alloy IMI834, in Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Titanium, 959-964.
- X. Wang and Q. Han, Grain refinement mechanism of aluminum by Al-Ti-B master alloys, Light Metals 2016, 189-193.
- S. Jin, A. Ziabari, Y.R. Koh, M. Saei, X. Wang, B. Deng, Y. Hu, D. Lin, J.H. Bahk, A Shakouri, G. Cheng, Enhanced thermoelectric performance of template-assisted electrochemically grown BixSb2-xTe3 nanowires by laser treatment. Extreme Mechanics Letters, Volume 9, Part 3, 386-396.
- H. Ma, X. Liu and X. Wang, Influence of zirconium on the growth of Al3Ti and TiB2 particles in aluminum alloys, Proceedings of Materials Science and Technology 2016 (MS&T16), Salt Lake City, Utah, pp. 263-270.
- J. Song, X. Wang, T. DenOuden, Q. Han, Evolution of Intermetallic Phases in Soldering of the Die Casting of Aluminum Alloys, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 2609-2615.
- X. Wang and Q. Han, Relationships of diboride phases in Al-Ti(Zr)-B alloys, Materials Science and Technology 31 (7), 874-879.
- X. Wang, Z. Liu, W. Dai and Q. Han, on the understanding of aluminum grain refinement by Al-Ti-B type master alloys, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B (46) 4, 1620-1625.
- L. Mi, Y. Yu, H. Wang, Y. Zhang, X. Yao, Y. Chang, X. Wang, Y. Jiang, Ultrasensitive PbS-quantum-dot photodetectors for visible-near-infrared light through surface atomic-ligand exchange, Particle & Particle Systems Characterization 32 (12), 1102-1109.
- X. Yao, S. Liu, Y. Chang, G. Li, L. Mi, X. Wang, Y. Jiang, PbS quantum-dot depleted heterojunction solar cells wmploying CdS nanorod arrays as the electron acceptor with enhanced efficiency, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7 (41), 23117-23123.
- Z. Liu, M. Rakita, W. Xu, X. Wang, Q. Han, Untrasound assisted salt-metal reaction for synthesizing TiB2 particles at low temperature, Chemical Engineering Journal (263), 317-324.
- F. Yin , S. Hu , L. Hua , X. Wang , S. Suslov, Q. Han, Surface Nanocrystallization and Numerical Modelling of Low Carbon Steel by Means of Ultrasonic Shot Peening, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A (46) 1253-1261.
- Z. Liu, M. Rakita, W. Xu, X. Wang, Q. Han, Ultrasound assisted combustion synthesis of TiC in Al-Ti-C system, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry (27), 631-637.
- X. Wang, L. Jiang, A. Luo, J. Song, Z. Liu, F. Yin, Q. Han, S. Yue, J.J. Jonas, Deformation of twins in a magnesium alloy under tension at room temperature, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 594 (2014) 44-47
- Z Liu, M Rakita, X Wang, W Xu, Q Han, In situ formed Al3Ti particles in Al alloy matrix and their effects on the microstructure and mechanical properties of 7075 alloy, Journal of Materials Research 29 (12), 1354-1361.
- Z. Liu, X. Wang, Q. Han, J. Li, Effects of the addition of Ti powders on the microstructure and mechanical properties of A356 alloy, Powder Technology, Vol. 253 (2014) 751-756
- Z. Liu, X. Wang, Q. Han, J. Li, Effect of Ultrasonic Vibration on Direct Reaction between Solid Ti Powders and Liquid Al, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 45A (2014) 543-546
- Z. Liu, X. Wang, Q. Han, J. Li, Synthesis of submicron sized TiC particles in aluminum melt at low melting temperature, Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 29 (7) 896-901
- F. Yin, Q. Han, M. Rakita, X. Wang, L. Hua. Numerical modelling and experimental approach for surface roughness evaluation during ultrasonic shot peening process, Computational Materials Science, Vol. 92 (2014) 28-35
- W. Dai, X. Wang, W. Zhao, Q. Han, A comparison of the effects of Al-Ti-B type grain refiners from different makers on pure aluminum, Light Metals 2014, TMS, 945-950.
- X. Wang, J. Zha, M. Chan, S. Long, Y. Li, W. Li, Recycling Technology and Equipment for High-risk Magnesium Die-casting Scrap, Special Casting and Nonferrous Alloys, Vol. 31 (2011) 1127-1131
- X. Wang, M. Jahazi, S. Yue, Investigation of a- platelet boundaries in a near-a titanium alloy, Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 492 (2008) 450-454
- X. Wang, P. Vo, M. Jahazi, S. Yue, Dwell fatigue microstructure in a near-a titanium alloy, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 38A (2007) 831-839
- X. Wang, M. Jahazi, S. Yue, Substructure of high temperature compressed titanium alloy IMI 834, Materials Science and Engineering A 434 (2006) 188–193
- Z. Fang, H. Assaaoudi, H. Lin, X. Wang, I. Butler, J. A. Kozinski, Synthesis of nanocrystaline SnO2 in supercritical water, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, Vol. 9 (2006) No. 4, 683-687
- X. Wang, The formation of AlB2 in an Al-B master alloy, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 403 (2005) 283-287
- X. Wang, A Jha, R Brydson, In-situ fabrication of Al3Ti particle reinforced aluminium alloy metal-matrix composites, Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 364 (2004) 339-345
- X. Wang, A Jha, R Brydson, and J Ellis, Microstructural analysis of in-situ fabricated Al-TiB2 metal matrix composites, Journal of Microscopy Vol. 196, part 2 (1999) 137-145
- Y. Wang, Y. Cai, X Wang, H Lai, C Liu, and F Han, The observation on MnS of Fe-Cu-C-MnS sintered easy cutting steels, Powder Metallurgy Industry, 3 (1998) 19-22;
- X. Wang, Y Cai, H Lai, C Liu, and F Han, The Growth behaviour of admixed MnS in sintered Fe-Cu-C-MnS steels, Journal of University of Science and Technology Beijing (English edition), Vol. 6, No. 1 (1996) 8-11
- Y. Cai, X Wang, H Lai, C Liu, and F Han, The influence of MnS adding methods on the mechanical properties of Fe-Cu-C-MnS sintered steels, Journal of University of Science and Technology Beijing, Vol. 17, No. 5 (1996) 429-433
- Y. Cai, X Wang, H Lai, C Liu, and F Han, The microstructure and processing relationship of sintered Fe-Cu-C-MnS steels, Journal of University of Science and Technology Beijing, Vol. 17, No. 3 (1995) 234-238