Sunday, February 20, 2005

podroll (one of many)

Here's a blog that collects podcasts:

podcrawl

There are many such blogs, but you have to start somewhere.

Speaking of which, I would be curious if people would comment here about how many of us actually use portable music players (iPod or other). As the name implies, podcasts in part own their ameliorating popularity to the proliferation of iPods and other digital music players. This is partially because these devices provide a way to listen to podcasts in controlled bytes and while engaged in other activities: while driving, taking the bus, jogging, etc.

iPods, like TiVo DVRs, are fetishes of pseudo-religious potency. Most of those who use these devices have conversion experiences such that it is difficult to revert to a pre-use state (think of email in your own life). I imagine that we miss something of the "magic" of technologies like podcasts if we are not already instantiated in a particular world that presumes a certain level of active use. For example, people wouldn't care about how cool my email filters are--they route mail to different folders depending on if the content is academic CFP, student work, personal mail, etc.--if they do not traffic heavily in email (or if, if this is still possible, do not use email at all).

So how many of us are use portable music players? How many of us have the kind of literacy or expertise or dependence that allows us to see the potential of podcasts?

5 Comments:

gvcarter said...

Why think of iPods, TiVo, or email in terms of "pseudo-religious potency"?

Aren't they used to harness all sorts of religious broadcasting? Can't they be deployed to make political-religious demands on the lives of hooded hostages?

Can we still think of email in terms of the possibility of using or not using?

Even if one isolates oneself from such fetish-magic, doesn't its sense permeate, even into the remotest regions of in North Korea?

Indeed, is not the very image of isolation --even thinking North Korea-- would seem tied up to technology. Or rather, the notion that any new technology (iPods) is exotic in the sense of isolation that it might be said to engender is itself an image that has been raisded about so many other technologies (home video).

Hasn't technological portability that Jeremy gets at here been the biggest cause for concern. How often do people lament the proliferation of cell phones? Technology that ostensibily is intended to "bring us together" is viewed by others as "tearing us apart." ("Have you seen how everyone is on their cellphones between classes rather than talking to each other?" "Everyone is in his or her own little world." etc.)

The privacy of cellphones as an invasion of both privacy and community. Cells that both confine and spread virally.

Another set of issues Jeremy's post raises for us include these questions:

Does cell phones require "a literacy"? Does podcasting?

To be sure, prior to last wk's class, I had little idea how to put a podcast onto the internet. Does that mean, however, I was podcast "illiterate"?

I cannot speak German, but is this a form of "illiteracy"? If I "know" even one word --in whatever language-- is this, on the other hand, a form of "literacy"?

What about this collision of terms in literacy-expertise-dependence?

Does the notion of "literacy" presuppose a sense of "expertise"? Or, preversely, could it be that "literacy" is a term needed to suggest the sense of "dependence"?

Is there a sense of dependence on "literacy" to suggest lack in other areas?

Are pseudo-religious-magic-fetishes precisely this sense of lack?

Becoming instantiated.

Becoming instant messaged.

Becoming instant massaged.

Doesn't McLuhan event.ually say that "the medium is the massage"?

T.here. That's nice little little difference/differance in message/massage, isn't it?

8:09 AM

Mary said...

GV, I read the turn of phrase that Jeremy gives us ... "pseudo-religious potency" ... as an indication of "conversions." Just as certain religious events convert follows to life-long conviction and dedicated participation, so too iPods and the rest. Here I lean into the analogy Jeremy suggests but inflect the discussion with a sense of "choice" and the excitement of an enriched field of possibilities.

Literacy plays in this discussion for me, too. I mark the line of literacy with the idea of "function." To the degree that I can function within a new "language," I have achieved that measure of literacy with the use of the language. I'm willing to believe all manner of things to be languages ... considering myself only moderately literate in "new media," though learning! So, yes, I think cellphones, email, blogging, digital image collecting and broadcasting ... each and all have a language to be learned ... or not. Different literacies result in different connections.

Which brings me to a last thought ... the bringing together or tearing apart of connections. I make no secret of believing that a more considerate cellphone "etiquette" is lagging behind in the proliferation of cellphones, especially in airport settings, but I've given up the criticism that cellphones are "tearing us apart." I think the thing they're doing to connecting us in "new" ways ... either across time/space we could not otherwise have "afforded" or to communities with whom previous connections might have been more easily monitored. My guess is that cellphones are "tearing apart" some connections and "bringing together" others. The question rises again for me ... is this good news or bad? Are we up for a celebration of the endlessly changing geography of "knowing," or are we going to continue to try to make some part of this "stand still"? If the "languages" keep changing, what becomes of the challenge for literac(ies)? And, to take it to the market ... where's the "real" money in this moving picture?

8:44 AM

gvcarter said...

Hmmmmm, conversions...

Hmmmmm, convictions...

Hmmmmm, choices...

Hmmmmm, life-long choices...

Hmmmmmm, life-long literacies...

Hmmmmmm, life-long functions...

Literacy = Life-Long Functionality?

Who wants to convert?

Who wants convictions?

Who wants choices?

Who wants to be functional?

FUNctional?

FunSHUNall?

The ratios of the MODERATE in mediating EXTREMES.

MODE.RATE

RATE MODES

RATE : Function / Disfunction

RATE: Fun / Shun

Moderates-to-Mode.Raters?

Who wants to be a Moderator?

Is what is and what is not literacy a sense of mediation-moderation?

Becoming Literate

Becoming Moderate

Becoming Learned

Do you learn me?

Get thee learned?

Learn to Earn? (ie. to the market)

Hmmmmmmmm, ears...

Hmmmmmmmm, rabbit ears...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the buzzzzzzzz of h.earing different dis/connections.

10:48 AM

juliette said...

I belive in Pod, the Father.
Pod is Love.
Pod save the Queen.

So I just "got" the reason that Apple is called Apple---it's the ORIGINAL apple. The Apple from the Tree of Knowledge? Huh? Anybody with me?

To answer your poll, J. Tirrell: I, for one, do NOT use a portable pod thingy. BUT only because I haven't the 349 smackers to lay down for the U2 edtion. I do listen to music on my computer all the freakin' time though (my own collection that I've transferred over). I stream various "radio" stations also.

I think your comparison of these "technological discoveries" to a religious conversion is accurate...it's like eating from the Tree....you Know something you didn't know before. You can't Unknow it. Even if it may be bad for you in the long run. (notice "may be")

But your comments about the portability of these devices leads me to some thoughts I've been having lately about the presence of sound in our everyday. We discuss the bombardment of images but we ignore the bombardment of sound. We even bring our sound with us to cover up sound we might encounter. Do we do this with images? Do we bring our own TV to watch over top of the TV that's on at the gym?

More on this later. I've just hit my threshold for writing a blog entry. A downfall of my half-hearted conversion, I guess.

9:42 PM

gvcarter said...

appleS...

je m'appelle ...

applying apples...

new media apple-apPLIcations...

as to garden variety apples, sometimes known as THE Apple --a sense that approaches the apple that is taught in schools in the phrase "'A' is for apple," and in some versions is left as an offering on the teacher's desk-- Spinoza has an interesting take on this story that regards Adam's encounter as a matter of good-bad affects, not as an encounter of good-evil.

For Spinoza, the notion of "evil" is something that his work tarries w/ differently ... and some have put all mannerist of spins on this sense of 'beyond good and evil.'

In this sense, yes, appleS may be bad... but evil...

Apples and oranges
Trees and rhizomes

Orange you glad?

9:25 AM

Post a Comment

<< Home