Monday, February 21, 2005

More copyright discussion

If you were interested in what Lessig had to say, you may also want to check out this:

Freedom of Expression® (I use the "®" because the author registered the phrase "freedom of expression" in order to make a now obvious point)

This is a book about copyright's recent manifestations in culture. It is freely available under a creative commons license, and it is also published in print. And--surprise, surprise--DJ Spooky provides a review on the website.

The author, Kembrew McLeod, is a professor at the University of Iowa. He is also known for his arthouse pranks. In fact, I encourage you to look at his website:

Kembrew.com

It is an intentionally horrifying parody of over-glossed, over-commodified webpresence.

Here's also a quotation from his site strangely applicable to us folks who've somehow found themselves in Indiana:

After five years in Iowa City chasing the children of the corn through the field of dreams, I still solemnly swear to put the "ass" back in assistant professor (and if I get tenure, I will continue putting the "ass" back in associate professor).

...although I perfer to think of our students as the children of the soy, but it's a personal preference.

1 Comments:

jtirrell said...

And there is a Flash version of a Lessig presentation here:

http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/free.html

1:20 PM

Post a Comment

<< Home