Scalable Micro Nano Manufacturing Laboratory
Refereed journal papers.
1. S. Jin, Y.Wang, M. Motlag, S. Gao, J. Xu, Q. Nian, W. Wu, G.J. Cheng, "Large area direct laser shock imprinting of 3D biomimic hierarchical metal surface for triboelectric nanogenerator", Advanced Materials, (2017). in press.
2. Q. Nian, L. Gao, Y. Hu, B. Deng, J. Tang, G.J. Cheng, "Graphene/PbS-Quantum Dots/Graphene Sandwich Structures Enabled by Laser Shock Imprinting for High Performance Photodetectors", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, (2017). in press.
3. G. Qiu+, Q. Nian+, M. Motlag+, S. Jin, B. Deng, Y. Deng, A.R. Charnas, P.D. Ye, G.J. Cheng, "Ultra-fast Laser Shock Induced Confined metaphase transformation for Direct Writing of Black Phosphorus Thin Films", Advanced Materials, (2017), in press.
4. P. Kumar, J. Liu, Y. Hu, SRKC Yamijala, S.K. Pati, J. Irudayaraj G.J. Cheng, "Alpha Lead oxide (α-PbO): A New 2D material with visible light sensitivity", Small, (2017), in press.
5. N. R. Kadasala, M. Saei, G.J. Cheng, A. Wei, "Dry Etching with Nanoparticles: Formation of High Aspect-Ratio Pores and Channels Using Magnetic Gold Nanoclusters ", Advanced Materials (2017), 1703091. DOI: 10.1002/adma.201703091
6. Z. Hu, F. Chen, D. Lin, Q. Nian, P. Parandoush, X. Zhu, Z. Shao, G.J. Cheng, “Laser Additive Manufacturing Bulk Graphene Copper Nanocomposites”, Nanotechnology, 28 (2017), 445705 .
7. F. Yin, S. Yang, S. Huang, R. Xu, S. Hu, G.J. Cheng, Q. Han, Novel "net-like" nanotwinned cell-substrate interface for mechanical and biological enhancement of 316L stainless steel in orthopedic applications, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials.
8. A. Yadav, S. Elshahat, L. Bibbò, K. Khan, X. Tang, J. Prakash, G.J. Cheng, A. Kaushik and Z. Ouyang, “Fabrication of self-assembled three-dimensional nano-photonic crystals and potentials applications”, Science Advance Today 3 (2017) 25275
9. Q. Zhang, D. Lin, B. Deng, X. Xu, Q. Nian, S. Jin, K.D. Leedy, H. Li and G.J. Cheng, “Flyweight, Superelastic, Electrically Conductive and Flaming Retardant 3D Multi-Nanolayer Graphene/Ceramic Metamaterial”, Advanced Materials (2017). “Metamaterials: Graphene makes ceramics multifunctional”, Research Highlight in Nature Reviews Materials, Published online 20 Jun 2017; doi:10.1038/natrevmats.2017.44
10. A. Yadav, L.Bai, Y.Yang, J.Liu, A.KAUSHIK, G.J. Cheng, L.Jiang, L. Chi and Z. Kang, “Lasing behavior of surface functionalized carbon quantum dots/RhB composite”, Nanoscale, (2017), 9, 5049 DOI: 10.1039/c7nr01260h
11. Lei, Jincheng; Hu, Yaowu; Liu, Zishun ; Cheng, Gary; Zhao, Kejie, "Defects mediated corrosion in graphene coating layer", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, (2017), 9 (13), 11902–11908 DOI: 10.1021/acsami.7b01539
12. Martinez, D., Gutierrez, L; Cai, C., Deng, B., Zhang, MY, Ye, C., Cheng, H., Ni, H., Cheng, GJ, "In vitro osteoblast gene expression and differentiation atop of titanium blocks laser coated with multilayer biphasic calcium phosphate/titanium nanocomposites", Biomed. Phys. Eng. Express 3, 025022.
13. Hu, Y; Li, J; Tian, J; Xuan, Y; Deng, B; Lim DT; McNear, K; Chen, Y; Yang, C; Cheng, GJ, "Parallel nanoshaping of brittle semiconductor nanowires for strained electronics", Nano Letters, (2016).DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.6b03366
14. A. Yadav, L. Zhong, J.Sun, G.J. Cheng, L. Jiang, L. Chi, “Tunable random lasing behavior in plasmonic nanostructures”, Nano Converge (2016). In press.
15. Ouyang L, Hu Y, Zhu L, Cheng GJ, Irudayaraj J. “A reusable laser wrapped graphene-Ag array based SERS sensor for trace detection of genomic DNA methylation”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, (2016) DOI: 10.1016/j.bios.2016.09.072
16. Z. Hu, M. Saei, G. Tong, D. Lin, Q. Nian, Y. Hu, S. Jin, G.J. Cheng, “Numerical Simulation of temperature field distribution for laser sintering graphene reinforced nickel matrix nanocomposites”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, (2016), DOI:
17. J. Yang, S. Dong, J. Sprengard, L. Gao, L. Ju, A. Hao, M. Saei, Richard Liang, G.J. Cheng, C. Xu, “Three-dimensional-linked Carbon Fiber-Carbon Nanotube Hybrid Structure for Enhancing Thermal Conductivity of Silicon Carbonitride Matrix Composites”, Carbon, (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.carbon.2016.07.002
18. G. Qiu, Y. Du, A. Charnas, H. Zhou, S. Jin, Z. Luo, D. Y. Zemlyanov, X. Xu, G.J. Cheng, P.D. Ye, “Observation of Optical and Electrical In-plane Anisotropy in High-mobility Few-layer ZrTe5”, Nano Letters, (2016) DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.6b02629
19. S.R. Das, Q. Nian, A.A. Cargill, J.A. Hondred, S. Ding, M. Saei, G.J. Cheng, J.C. Claussen, “3D Nanostructured Inkjet Printed Graphene via UV-Pulsed laser Irradiation Enables Paper-Based Electronics and Electrochemical Devices”, Nanoscale (2016) Selected Covering Page. DOI: 10.1039/C6NR04310K
20. K. Huo, W. An, J. Fu, B. Gao, L. Wang, X. Peng, G.J. Cheng, Paul K. Chu, “Mesoporous nitrogen-doped carbon hollow spheres as high-performance anodes for lithium-ion batteries”, Journal of Power Sources, 324(30), (2016), 233–238.
21. Y. Hu, Y. Xuan, X. Wang, B. Deng, M. Saei, S. Jin, J. Irudayaray, G.J. Cheng*, "Superplastic formation of Metal Nanostructure Arrays with Ultrafine Gaps", Advanced Materials, (2016).DOI: 10.1002/adma.201602497
22. Y. Hu, Y. Xuan, M. Qi, G.J. Cheng*, "Controlled and Stabilized Light-matter Interaction in Graphene - Plasmonic Flexible Film with Large-scale 10nm Lithography", Advanced Optical Materials, (2016) DOI: 10.1002/adom.201600201
23. S Jin, A Ziabari, YR Koh, M Saei, X Wang, B Deng, Y Hu, JH Bahk, A Shakouri, GJ Cheng, “Enhanced thermoelectric performance of P-type BixSb2-xTe3 nanowires with pulsed laser assisted electrochemical deposition”, Extreme Mechanics Letters, (2016), DOI: 10.1016/j.eml.2016.04.010
24. Shi J, Zhou M, Gong A, Li Q, Wu Q, Cheng GJ, Yang M, Sun Y., “Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging of Nanoflares for mRNA Detection in Living Cells”, Analytical Chemistry, DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.5b03689 (2016)
25. A. Yadav, M. Danesh, Li. Zhong, G.J. Cheng, L. Jiang , L. Chi, “Spectral plasmonic effect in nano-cavity of dye doped nano spheres based photonic crystals”, Nanotechnology, (2016)
26. Q. Nian, M. Saei, Y. Hu, B. Deng, S. Jin, G.J. Cheng, “Additive Roll Printing Activated Cold Welding of 2D Crystal and 1D Nanowire Layers for Flexible Transparent Conductor and Planer Energy Storage ”, Extreme Mechanics Letters, (2016), DOI:10.1016/j.eml.2016.02.014
27. Z. Hu, D. Lin, G.J. Cheng, et al. “Laser sintered graphene nickel nanocomposites”, Journal of Materials Processing and Technology, V.231, pp.143–150 (2016) DOI:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2015.12.022
28. Y. Hu, P. Kumar, R. Xu, K. Zhao, G.J. Cheng, “Ultrafast direct fabrication of flexible substrate-supported designer plasmonic nanoarrays”, Nanoscale, (2015), DOI:10.1039/C5NR06899A
29. S. Das, Q. Nian, M. Saei, P. Kumar, S. Jin, D.B. Janes, M.A. Alam, G.J. Cheng, “Single Layer Graphene as a Barrier Layer for Intense UV Laser Induced Damages for Silver Nanowire Network", ACS Nano, (2015) DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.5b04628.
30. Q Nian, M Callahan, M Saei, D Look, H Efstathiadis, J Bailey, GJ Cheng, "Large Scale Laser Crystallization of Solution-based Alumina-doped Zinc Oxide (AZO) Nanoinks for Highly Transparent Conductive Electrode", Scientific Reports. (2015) Publisher: Nature Publishing Group, doi:10.1038/srep15517
31. D. Lin, M. Saei, S Suslov, S. Jin, G.J. Cheng, “Super-strengthening and stabilizing with carbon nanotube harnessed high density nanotwins in metals by shock loading”, Scientific Reports. (2015) Publisher: Nature Publishing Group, doi: 10.1038/srep15405.
32. K. Rickey, Q. Nian, G. Zhang, L. Chen, S. Suslov, S.V. Bhat, Y. Wu, G.J. Cheng, and X. Ruan, "Welding of Semiconductor Nanowires by Coupling Laser-Induced Peening and Localized Heating", Scientific Reports. (2015) Publisher: Nature Publishing Group, doi:10.1038/srep16052.
33. Q. Nian, K.H. Montgomery, T. Jackson, J.M. Woodall and G.J. Cheng, “Pulse laser deposition Fabricated InP/Al-ZnO Heterojunction Solar Cells Efficiency Enhanced by i-ZnO Interlayer”, Applied Physics A. (2015) 121(3), 1219-1226.
34. Y. Liao, C. Ye, G.J. Cheng, “A Review: Warm Laser Shock Peening and Related Laser Processing Technique”, Optics and Laser Technology, (2015) doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2015.09.014.
35. L. Ding, Z. Peng, P. Zhou, G.J. Cheng, Q. Nian, D. Lin, J. Zhou, and Y. Liang. "Preparation and Effect of Lighting on Structures and Properties of GSH Capped ZnSe QDs." Journal of Fluorescence (2015): 1-7.
36. Lin, D., Jin, S., Zhan, F., Wang, Y., Wang, C., Zhou, C., Cheng, G.J., “3D stereolithography printing of graphene oxide reinforced complex architectures", Nanotechnology, (2015), 26(43):434003. DOI: 10.1088/0957-4484/26/43/434003.
37. Nian, Q., Xu, Y., Sabyasachi, G., Saei, M; Deng, B., Chen, Y., Cheng, G.J., "Crystalline Nanojoining Silver Nanowire Percolated Networks on Flexible Substrate", ACS Nano, (2015), 9 (10), 10018–10031.
38. Hu, Y., Lee, S., Kumar, P., Cheng, G.J., Irudayaraj, J. J. “Water flattens graphene wrinkles: laser shock wrapping of graphene onto substrate-supported crystalline plasmonic nanoparticle arrays”, Nanoscale, (2015) DOI: 10.1039/C5NR04810A. Selected Front Covering page.
39. Lee, S., Kumar, P., Hu, Y., Cheng, G.J., Irudayaraj, J.J. “ Graphene laminated gold bipyramids as sensitive detection platforms of antibiotic molecules”. Chemical Communications. (2015), DOI: 10.1039/C5CC04890G Selected Front Covering page.
40. Q Nian, MY Zhang, D Lin, S Das, YC Shin, GJ Cheng, “Crystalline photoactive copper indium diselenide thin films by pulsed laser crystallization of nanoparticle-inks at ambient conditions”. RSC Advances, 5(71), 57550-57558. (2015)
41. D Lin, P Kumar, S Jin, S Liu, Q Nian, GJ Cheng, “Laser direct writing of crystalline Fe2O3 atomic sheets on steel surface in aqueous medium”, Applied Surface Science, 351, 148–154 (2015)
42. Zhixiao Liu, Biwei Deng, Gary J. Cheng, Huiqiu Deng, Partha P. Mukherjee, "Mesoscale Elucidation of Laser-assisted Chemical Deposition of Sn Nanostructured Electrodes", Journal of Applied Physics, 117(21), 214301. (2015)
43. Q Nian, M Callahan, David Look, H Efstathiadis, J Bailey, GJ Cheng, "Highly transparent conductive electrode with ultra-low HAZE by grain boundary modification of aqueous solution fabricated alumina-doped zinc oxide nanocrystals", APL Materials, 3(6), 062803. (2015)
44. J Liu, P Kumar, Y Hu, GJ Cheng, J Irudayaraj, "Enhanced Multi-Photon Emission from CdTe/ZnS Quantum Dots Decorated on Single Layer Graphene", Journal of Physical Chemistry C., 119 (11), 6331–6336. (2015)
45. H Gao+, Y Hu+, Y Xuan, Ji Li, Y Yang, RV Martinez, C Li, J Luo, M Qi, GJ Cheng, “Large Scale Nanoshaping of Ultrasmooth 3D Crystalline Metallic Structures”, Science, 12 December 2014: Vol. 346 no. 6215, 1352-1356. DOI: 10.1126/science.1260139; “Shocking way to make nanostructures”, Nano Today, editor: Cordelia Sealy, 10(1), (2015), 4-5. Doi:10.1016/j.nantod.2015.01.002
46. Q Nian, Y Wang, J Li, Y Yang, MY Zhang, L Tang, J Shao, GJ Cheng, “Direct Laser Writing of Nanodiamond Films from Graphite under Ambient Conditions", Scientific Reports, 4, 6612; DOI: 10.1038/srep06612. Publisher: Nature Publishing Group, (2014)
47. D Lin, Q Nian, S Jin, W Wang, B Deng, Y Hu, GJ Cheng, "Three-Dimensional Printing of Complex Structures: Man Made or toward Nature?", ACS Nano, 8 (10), pp 9710–9715. (2014) DOI: 10.1021/nn504894j
48. Q Nian, MY Zhang, Y Wang, SR Das, VS Bhat, F Huang, GJ Cheng, “Charger Carrier Transport and Collection Enhancement of Copper Indium Diselenide Photoactive Nanoparticle-Ink by Laser Crystallization”, Applied Physics Letter, 105, 111909.(2014) DOI: 10.1063/1.4894861.
49. D Lin, CR Liu, GJ Cheng, “Single Layer Graphene Oxide Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites by Laser Sintering: Microstructure and Mechanical Property Enhancement”, Acta Materialia, Vol.80, 183–193, (2014) DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2014.07.038.
50. H Gao, R Tang, T Ma, H Jiang, H Yu, GJ Cheng, “Laser shock induced conformal transferring of functional devices on 3D stretchable substrates”, IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 24(2), 414-421. (2014) DOI: 10.1109/JMEMS.2014.2332512
51. C Ye, S Suslov, D Lin, YL Liao, GJ Cheng, “Cryogenic Ultrahigh Strain Rate Deformation Induced Hybrid Nanotwinned Microstructure for High Strength and High Ductility”, Journal of Applied Physics, 115, 213519. (2014) DOI: 10.1063/1.4881555.
52. X Zhao, Y Cao, Q Nian, YC Shin, GJ Cheng, “Control of Ablation Depth and Surface Structure in P3 Scribing of Thin-Film Solar Cells by A Picosecond Laser”, Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing, 2(3), 031007, (2014) DOI: 10.1115/1.4027733.
53. Q Nian, MY Zhang, B Schwartz, GJ Cheng, “UV Laser Crystallized Transparent ZnO:Al Films on Sapphire with High Hall Mobility for Simultaneous Enhancement of Conductivity and Transparency”, Applied Physics Letter, 104, 201907. (2014) DOI:10.1063/1.4879643.
54. C Ye, YL Liao, S Suslov, D Lin, GJ Cheng, “Ultrahigh Dense and Gradient Nano-precipitates by Warm Laser Shock Peening for Combination of high Strength and Ductility”, Materials Science & Engineering A, 609(15), 195–203.(2014)
55. YP Wang, TW Chiu, CH Chang, C Xuan, GJ Cheng, “Transparent and antibacterial Cu2Y2O5 thin films by chemical solution deposition”, Thin Solid Films, (2014) DOI:10.1016/j.tsf.2014.02.033
56. Spann, B. T., Bhat, S. V., Nian, Q., Rickey, K. M., Cheng, G. J., Ruan, X., & Xu, X., “Enhancing photo-induced ultrafast charge transfer across heterojunctions of CdS and laser-sintered TiO2 nanocrystals”, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 16, 10669-10678, (2014) DOI: 10.1039/C4CP01298D
57. D Lin, B Deng, SA Sassmanc, Y Hu, S Suslov, GJ Cheng, "Magnetic field assisted growth of highly dense α-Fe2O3 single crystal nanosheets and their application in water treatment", RSC Advances,4, 18621-18626. (2014) DOI: 10.1039/C3RA47726F
58. X Zhao, Y Cao, Q Nian, YC Shin, GJ Cheng, “Precise selective scribing of thin-film solar cells by a picosecond laser”, Applied Physics A., (2014) DOI 10.1007/s00339-014-8330-6.
59. D Lin, CR Liu, GJ Cheng, "Laser Sintering of Separated and Uniformly distributed Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes Integrated Iron Nanocomposites", Journal of Applied Physics, 115, 113513.(2014)
60. Z Liu, Z Cao, B Deng, Y Wang, J Shao, P Kumar, CR Liu, B Wei, GJ Cheng, “Ultrafast and scalable photochemical synthesis of tin oxide nanotubes with mesoporous nanocrystals and their application in lithium ion batteries”, Nanoscale, 6, 5853-5858 (2014) DOI: 10.1039/C3NR06444A.
61. YH Zhu, SQ Jiang, DD Zhao, GJ Cheng, HW Zhang, WE Lai, “Electropulsing induced crystal orientation change and its effects on electric conductivity of nanofilms of Zn–Al alloys”, Applied Physics A 111(4).(2013) DOI: 10.1007/s00339-012-7396-2.
62. S Nof, GJ Cheng, AM Weiner, et al., “Laser and Photonic Systems Integration: Emerging Innovations and Framework for Research and Education”, Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service Industries, (2013) DOI: 10.1002/hfm.20555
63. Q Nian, CR Liu, GJ Cheng, “Laser assisted electro-deposition of earth abundant Cu2ZnSnS4 photovoltaic thin film”, Manufacturing Letters, (2013) DOI:10.1016/j.mfglet.2013.09.008.
64. C Ye, S Tao, B Wu, GJ Cheng, “Magnetic Field Effects on Laser Drilling”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 35(6):061020-061020-5, (2013) doi: 10.1115/1.4025745.
65. S Tao, B Wu, Y Zhou, GJ Cheng, “The Investigation of Plasma Produced by Intense Nanosecond Laser Ablation in Vacuum under External Magnetic Field using a Two-Stage Model”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 135(6), 061009, (2013) doi: 10.1115/1.4025685.
66. D Lin, YL Yang, GJ Cheng, “Pulsed Laser Induced Confined Vapor Deposition for Thin Layer Dense Nanoparticle Arrays on Various Substrates”, Applied Surface Science, 283C, 924-929. (2013)
67. P Kumar, J Li, Q Nian, Y Hu, GJ Cheng, “Plasmonic tuning of silver nanowires by laser shock induced lateral compression”, Nanoscale, 5, 6311-6317. (2013) DOI: 10.1039/C3NR02104A
68. Y. Zhang, Q Nian, Y Shin, GJ Cheng, "Direct pulsed laser crystallization of nanocrystals for absorbent layers in Photovoltaics: Multiphysics simulation and experiment", Journal of Applied Physics, 113(19), 193506. (2013)
69. H Gao, R Tang, T Ma, H Jiang, H Yu, GJ Cheng, "Direct Integration of Functional Structures on 3D microscale surfaces by Laser Dynamic Forming", IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, (2013) DOI:10.1109/JMEMS.2013.2262602.
70. D Lin, C Ye. YL Liao, S Suslov, CR Liu, GJ Cheng, “Mechanism of fatigue performance enhancement in a laser sintered superhard nanoparticles reinforced nanocomposite followed by laser shock peening”, Journal of Applied Physics, 113, 133509. (2013) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4799154.
71. YL Liao, GJ Cheng, “Controlled precipitation by thermal engineered laser shock peening and its effect on dislocation pinning: Multiscale dislocation dynamics simulation and experiments”, Acta Materialia, (2013) doi:10.1016/j.actamat.2012.12.016.
72. J Li, TF Chung, YP Chen, GJ Cheng, “Nanoscale Strainability of Graphene by Laser Shock Induced 3D Shaping", Nano Letters, (2012) Doi:10.1021/nl301817t.
73. YL Yang, D Lin, GJ Cheng, “Direct writing of Au nanoneedles array on glass by confined laser spinning”, Applied Physics Letter, 101, 091911 (2012); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4746427.
74. YL Liao, C Ye, S Suslov, GJ Cheng, "Deformation Induced Martensite in NiTi and its Shape Memory Effects Generated by Low Temperature Laser Shock Peening" , Journal of Applied Physics, 112, 033515; (2012) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4742997
75. C Ye, GJ Cheng, “Scalable Patterning on Shape Memory Alloy by Laser Shock Assisted Direct Imprinting”, Applied Surface Science, 258(24), 10042–10046. (2012)
76. YL Liao, C Ye, S Suslov, GJ Cheng, “The mechanisms of Thermal Engineered Laser Shock Peening for Enhanced Fatigue Performance”, Acta Materialia, 60(13–14), 4997–5009. (2012)
77. R Voothaluru, CR Liu, GJ Cheng, “Finite Element Analysis of the Variation in Residual Stress Distribution in Laser Shock Peening of Steels”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 134(6), 061010.(2012)
78. C Ye, GJ Cheng, “An Extend Finite Element Method (XFEM) Study on the Effect of Reinforcing Particles on the Crack Propagation Behavior in a Metal-matrix Composite”, International Journal of Fatigue, 44 (2012) 151–156. (2012)
79. J Li, YL Liao, S Suslov, GJ Cheng, “Laser shock based platform for controllable forming of Nanowires”, Nano Letters, 12 (6), pp 3224–3230, (2012) DOI: 10.1021/nl3012209, Nature Photonics, August, (2012), 6(8), “Laser nanofabrication: New regimes for nanoshaping”, Noriaki Horiuchi, Doi:10.1038/nphoton.2012.186.
80. MY Zhang, Q Nian, GJ Cheng, “Room Temperature Deposition of Alumina-doped zinc oxide (AZO) on flexible substrates by Direct Pulsed Laser recrystallization”, Applied Physics Letter, 100, 151902.(2012)
81. Z Liu, Y Wang, YL Liao, GJ Cheng, “Direction-tunable nanotwins in copper nanowires by laser assisted electrochemical deposition”, Nanotechnology, 23, 125602, (2012) doi:10.1088/0957-4484/23/12/125602 .
82. D Lin, MY Zhang, C Ye, Z Liu, CR Liu, GJ Cheng, "Large scale, highly dense nanoholes on metal surfaces by underwater laser assisted hydrogen etching near nanocrystalline boundary", Applied Surface Science, 258(10), p. 4254-4259. (2012)
83. C Ye, S Suslov, D Lin, GJ Cheng, “Deformation-induced Martensite and Nanotwins by Cryogenic Laser Shock Peening of AISI 304 Stainless Steel and their Effects on Mechanical Properties”, Philosophical Magazine, 92(11), 1369-1389. (2012)
84. YL Liao, YL Yang, GJ Cheng, “Enhanced laser shock by an active liquid confinement - hydrogen peroxide”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 134(3), 034503. (2012) http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4006552.
85. K Chen, H Zhou, J Li, GJ Cheng, “ Stagnation Pressure in Liquid Needle-free Injection: modeling and experimental validation”, Drug Delivery Letters, 1(2), p. 97-104. (2011)
86. J Li, R Zhang, H Jiang, GJ Cheng, “Scalable nano-patterning of graphenes using laser shock”, Nanotechnology, 22, 475303.(2011)
87. D. Lin, S Suslov, C Ye, YL Liao, C. R. Liu, GJ Cheng, “Laser Assisted Embedding of Nanoparticles into Metallic Materials”, Applied Surface Science, 258(7), p.2289–2296. (2011)doi:10.1016/j.apsusc.2011.09.132.
88. X Fei and DS Grummon, C Ye and GJ Cheng, YT Cheng, “Surface Form Memory in NiTi Shape Memory Alloys by Laser Shock Indentation”, Journal of Materials Science, 47(5), p.2088-2094. (2011) DOI: 10.1007/s10853-011-6007-5.
89. YL Yang, MY Zhang, GJ Cheng, “Dense and Uniform Gold Nanospheres on Glass through Confined Nanosecond Pulsed Laser Irradiation”, Applied Physics Letter, 99, 091901 (2011); doi:10.1063/1.3633123.
90. C Ye, S Suslov, D Lin, X Fei, GJ Cheng, “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Copper Subjected to Cryogenic Laser Shock Peening”, Journal of Applied Physics, 110, 083504 (2011); doi:10.1063/1.3651508.
91. C Ye, S Suslov, X Fei, GJ Cheng, “Bimodal Nanocrystallization of NiTi Shape Memory Alloy by Laser Shock Peening and Post Deformation Annealing”, Acta Materialia, 59(19), p. 7219–7227.(2011), DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2011.07.070 .
92. Y Zhang, GJ Cheng, "Pulsed Laser Coating of Bioceramic/Metallic Nanoparticles on Metal Implants: multiphysics simulation and experiments", IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, 10(3), 177-186. (2011)
93. L Wang, UJ Erasquin, M Zhao, L Ren, MY Zhang, GJ Cheng, Y Wang,C Cai, “Stability, Antimicrobial Activity, and Cytotoxicity of Poly(amidoamine) Dendrimers on Titanium Substrates”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, (2011) DOI:10.1021/am2004398.
94. Y Zhang, GJ Cheng, "Highly Conductive and Transparent Alumina-doped ZnO Films Processed by Direct Pulsed Laser Recrystallization at Room Temperature", Applied Physics Letter, 99, 051904. (2011)
95. YL Liao, C Ye, H Gao, S Suslov, E Stach, GJ Cheng, "Dislocation pinning effects induced by nano-precipitates during warm laser shock peening: dislocation dynamic simulation and experiments", Journal of Applied Physics, 110, 023518. (2011)
96. H Gao, GJ Cheng, “3D microscale laser dynamic forming of metallic thin film: multiscale modeling and experimental validation”, Journal of Applied Physics, 109, 103511. (2011)
97. Y Zhang, GJ Cheng, “Continuous Mode Laser Coating of Hydroxyapatite/Titanium Nanoparticles on Metallic Implants: Multiphysics Simulation and Experimental Verification”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 133(2), 021010. (2011)
98. Y Zhang, GJ Cheng, U Erasquin, C Cai, “Laser Engineered Multilayer Coating of BCP/Ti Nanocomposite on Titanium Implants”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 3 (2), pp 339–350. (2011)
99. C Ye, GJ Cheng, “Laser Shock Peening of Nanoparticles Integrated Alloys: Numerical simulation and experiments”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 132(6), 061017. (2010)
100. C Ye, S Suslov, BJ Kim, E Stach, GJ Cheng, “Fatigue Performance Improvement in AISI 4140 Steel by Dynamic Strain Aging and Dynamic Precipitation during Warm Laser Shock Peening “, Acta Materialia, 59(3), 1014-1025. (2010)
101. Y Zhang, GJ Cheng, “Nanoscale size dependence on pulsed laser sintering of hydroxyapatite/titanium particles on metal implants”, Journal of Applied Physics, 108, 113112. (2010)
102. C Ye, GJ Cheng, “Effects of Elevated Temperature on Laser Shock Peening: The case of Copper”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 132(6), 061009. (2010)
103. K Chen, H Zhou, J Li, GJ Cheng, “A model on Liquid Penetration into Soft Material with Application to Needle-Free Jet Injection”, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 132(10):101005. (2010)
104. YL Liao, C Ye, BJ Kim, S Suslov, E Stach, GJ Cheng, “Nucleation of Highly Dense Nanoscale Precipitates Based on Warm Laser Shock Peening”, Journal of Applied Physics, 108, 063518. (2010)
105. J Li, GJ Cheng, “Multiple-Pulse Laser Dynamic Forming of Metallic Thin Films For Microscale 3D Shapes”, Journal of Applied Physics, 108, 013107. (2010)
106. J Li, H. Gao, GJ Cheng, “Forming Limit and Fracture Mode of Microscale Laser Dynamic Forming”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 108, 013107. (2010)
107. F Zhao, WZ Bernstein, G Naik, GJ Cheng, “Environmental Sustainability of Laser-Assisted Manufacturing: Case Studies on Laser Shock Peening and Laser Assisted Turning”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 18(13), 1311-1319. (2010)
108. C Ye, YL Liao, GJ Cheng, “Warm Laser Shock Peening Driven Nanostructures and Their Effects on Fatigue Performance in Aluminum Alloy 6160”, Advanced Engineering Materials, 12 (4), 291 - 297. (2010) Selected Covering Page.
109. H Gao, GJ Cheng, "Laser Induced High-strain-rate Superplastic 3D Micro-forming of Metallic Thin Film", IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 19(2), 273 – 281. (2010)
110. DC Rieck, B Liu, D.F Moffett, KA David, GJ Cheng, BJ Van Wie, "Functionalization of Micro- and Nano-Apertures with Chromate-Selective Solvent Polymeric Membrane", Analytica Chimica Acta, 659(1-2), 243-250. (2010)
111. J Li, GJ Cheng, “Multiphysics Simulation on electromagnetic peening of pre-drilled holes”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 51(11-12), 825-836. (2009)
112. H. Gao, C. Ye, GJ Cheng, “Deformation behaviors and critical parameters of microscale laser dynamic forming”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 131, 051011. (2009)
113. C. Yu, H. Gao, H. Yu, H. Jiang, G.J. Cheng, “Laser Dynamic Forming of Functional Materials Laminated Composites on Patterned Three-Dimensional Surfaces with Applications on Flexible Microelectromechanical Systems”, Applied Physics Letter, 95(9), id. 091108. (2009)
114. D Pirzada, G.J. Cheng, “Microstructure and Texture Developments in Multiple Pulses Excimer Laser Crystallization of GaAs Thin Films”, Journal of Applied Physics, 105, pp. 093114. (2009)
115. GJ Cheng, C Ye, “Experiment, Simulation and Characterization on Transmission Laser Coating of Hydroxyapatite on Metal Implant”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A, (2009) DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.32325.
2008 and before
116. X Zhu, M Zhou, Q Dai, G.J. Cheng, “Deformation Modes in Stainless Steel during Laser Shock Peening”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Volume 131(5), 054503. (2008)
117. B Liu, V Bernard J., GJ Cheng, DF Moffett, DA Kidwell, “Bilayer lipid membrane (BLM) based ion selective electrodes at the meso, micro, and nano scales”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24, pp. 1843-49. (2008)
118. G.J. Cheng, M. Cai, D. Pirzada, M. F. Guinel, G. M. Norton, “Plastic Deformation in Silicon Crystal induced by Heat Assisted Laser Shock Peening”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, pp. 11008. (2008)
119. D. Pirzada, G.J. Cheng, D. Field, “Effect of film thickness and laser energy density on the microstructure of a-GaAs films after excimer laser crystallization”, Journal of Applied Physics, 102, pp. 013519. (2007)
120. M. Cai, G.J. Cheng, “Microstructure-properties relationship in Al-Mg-Si Alloys subject to a combined process of extrusion and ageing”, JOM Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, 59(8), pp. 58-61. (2007)
121. G.J. Cheng, D. Pirzada, M Zhou, “Microstructure and mechanical property characterizations of metal foil after microscale laser dynamic forming ”, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.101 (6), pp. 063108. (2007)
122. E. Ozlu, J. Zhe, S. Chandra, J. Cheng, X. Wu, “Feasibility study of a smart motion generator utilizing electromagnetic microactuator arrays”, Smart Materials and Structures, v15, pp. 859-868. (2006)
123. G.J. Cheng, M. Shehadeh, “Dislocation Behavior in Silicon Crystal by Laser Shock Peening: A Multiscale Simulation Approach”, Script Materialia, Vol. 53 (9), pp.1013-1018. (2005)
124. J. Cheng, D. Pirzada, and P. Dutta, “Design and Fabrication of Hybrid Nanofluidic Channel,” Journal of Microlithography, Microfabrication and Microsystems, Vol. 4(1), pp.013009. (2005)
125. J. Cheng, D. Pirzada, P. S. Mohanty and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Bioceramic Coating of Hydroxyapatite on Metallic substrate with Nd-YAG laser”, Materials Science and Engineering, C, Vol. 25 (4), pp. 541-547. (2005)
126. J. Cheng, M. Shehadeh, “Multiscale Dislocation Dynamics Analyses of Laser Shock Peening in Silicon Single Crystals”, International Journal of Plasticity, 22(12), pp. 2171-2194. (2005)
127. J. Cheng, J. Zhang and J. Zhe, “Experimental Study and Computer Simulation on Fracture Toughness of Sheet Metal after Laser Forming”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 26, pp. 1222-1230. (2005)
128. J. Zhang, D. Pirzada, C.C. Chu and J. Cheng, “Fatigue Life Prediction of Sheet Metal after Laser Forming”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 127, pp. 1-8. (2005)
129. Y. L. Yao, J. Cheng, K. P. Rajurkar, R. Kovacevic, S. Feiner, and W. Zhang, “Combined research and curriculum development of nontraditional manufacturing”, European Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 30-3, pp. 363-376. (2005)
130. Y. L. Yao, J. Cheng, K. P. Rajurkar, R. Kovacevic, S. Feiner, and W. Zhang, “A Web-based Curriculum Development on nontraditional manufacturing with Interactive Features”, International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 21(3), pp. 546-553. (2005)
131. J. Cheng and Y.L.Yao, “Process Design of Laser Forming for Three Dimensional Thin Plates”, J. Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 126, pp.217-225. (2004)
132. J. Cheng, J. Zhe, X. Wu, "Analytical and FEM Pull-in Study on Rigid and Deformable Electrostatic Micro Actuators," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 14 No 1, pp. 57-68. (2004)
133. J. Cheng and Y.L.Yao, “Process synthesis of Laser forming by Genetic Algorithm”, Int. J. Machine Tools & Manufacture, Volume 44, Issue 15 , December 2004, pp. 1619-1628. (2004)
134. J. Cheng and Y.L.Yao, “Microstructure Integrated Modeling of Multiscan Laser Forming”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 124, No. 2, pp. 379-388. (2002)
135. J. Cheng and Y.L.Yao, “Cooling Effects in Laser Forming”, Transaction of NAMRI/SME Volume XXIX, 2001, 119-126. (2001)
136. AW Zhu, J Cheng and EA Starke Jr., “Precipitation Strengthening of Stress-aged Al-xCu Alloys”, Acta Materialia, Vol. 48, 2239-2246. (2000)
137. J. Cheng and Y.L.Yao, “Cooling Effects in Multiscan Laser Forming”, Journal of Manufacturing Process, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 60-72. (2001)
Books or other One-time Publications
1. G. J. Cheng*, “Writing a Good NSF/CAREER Proposal,” NSF Career Proposal Writing Tips, 2006, edited by Dr. Z. Pei. Invited by Professor Z. Pei at Kansas State University, Department of Industrial Engineering, for NSF supported annual workshops on CAREER proposal writing (www.lulu.com/content/622319), pp. 41-42.
2. H. F. Doty, B. J. Van Wie*, G. Hooks, J. E. Ebaugh, S. J. Haarsma, H. Fuchida, G.J. Cheng, B. Liu, D. A. Kidwell, I. R. Beattie, B. D. Schmuck, 2007, "Enhancing Educational Motivation among Native High Schoolers: Cutting Edge Nanoscience Placed in an Environmental Water Quality Context," Innovations 2007, Editor(s): W. Aung, et al. iNEER, Chapter 44, pp. 484-93, invited by Dr. Win Aung, Chair of NSF/ENG IREE Working Group.
3. G.J. Cheng*, Y.L.Yao, “Intelligent Energy Field Manufacturing & Interdisciplinary Process Innovations,” published by CRC Press in 2009, edited by W. Zhang. Chapter 18: Laser induced plastic deformation, edited by Dr. W. Zhang, Materials Systems Technology, GE Global Research.
Web-based Curriculum Development:
1. NSF funded Combined Research and Curriculum Development: Nontraditional Manufacturing (Laser Machining Process), http://www.columbia.edu/cu/mechanical/mrl/ntm/pgIndex.html
2. NSF funded Combined Research and Curriculum Development: Nontraditional Manufacturing (Virtual Reality Modeling), http://www.columbia.edu/cu/mechanical/mrl/ntm/images/virtualreal.htm
1. Y.L. Yao, J. Cheng, “A System Method for Laser Forming of Sheet Metal,” publication number: WO2005005069A3, Filing date: May 16, 2003, Priority date: May 16, 2002 Publication Date: April 21, 2005. Priority number(s): US20020380945P 20020516, also published as:
1. G.J. Cheng, “Laser Shock Peening Apparatuses and Methods”, Non-provisional US patent filed, No. 617933.100010.
2. Y. Wang, G.J. Cheng, T.D. Sands, L. Tang, “Thin and Flexible Gallium Nitride and Method of Making the Same”, Non-provisional US patent filed, No. 65896.00.US
3. B. Hu, G.J Cheng, “High-strength inorganic fibers or nanofibers and direct manufacturing of the same with heat-assisted electro-spinning”, provisional US patent filed, US 61/491/885.
4. G.J. Cheng, “Warm laser shock peening for enhanced fatigue life: stabilized residual stress and strength”, provisional US patent filed, US 61/653,050
5. Y. Wang, G.J. Cheng, T.D. Sands, L. Tang, PAA-Freestanding Nitride Semiconductor Substrate and Method of Fabricating Same, 61/502,816, fil provisional US patent filed, ed June 29, 2011
6. Y. Wang, G.J. Cheng, T.D. Sands, L. Tang, Growth of Flexible Nitride Semiconductor Film and Method of Fabrication Same, 61/502,820, provisional US patent filed, June 29, 2011
7. Y. Wang, G.J. Cheng, T.D. Sands, L. Tang, InN-Freestanding Nitride Semiconductor Substrate and Method of Fabricating Same, US, 61/502,823, provisional US patent filed, June 29, 2011.
8. Y. Wang, G.J. Cheng, T.D. Sands, L. Tang, Etching-Flexible Nitride Semiconductor Film and Method of Fabricating Same, US 61/502,826, provisional US patent filed, June 29, 2011.
9. G.J. Cheng, “Cryogenic laser shock peening: system and method”, provisional US patent filed, US 61/587,815.